PDA

View Full Version : Need help with this symptom

Pacific
09-06-12, 20:15
I've been doing alot better lately, the only thing that really gets to me is that i sometimes suddenly feel very detached and surreal. It only last for a few minutes but it makes me feel very uncomfortable and weird everytime and sometimes makes me panic. I've kind of gotten used to it a lil more but it still really scares me everytime.

It's like i zone out and the world seems distant, and i think 'im rly here and alive' and i feel very detached then i feel like im losing my mind and i get a adrenaline rush feeling and dizzy and start sweating and get the urge to run away (if i'm in a conversation or activity with someone) and go to my room or somewere i feel safe and calm down.

Ive been diagnosed with anxiety and panic. I can really relate to everything people discribe with dp/dr. I feel like this is my last obstacle cus this feeling always causes a setback everytime and it's the feeling that really gets to me cus i feels so strange. My biggest fear is going mad or something wrong with my brain but my psychologist says thats not the case and its just anxiety that makes me feel like this. I've had this feeling many times and nothing ever happens, but its so scary..

I read this somewhere and it discribes it really well: 'A typical manifestation of this depersonalization (unreality) is when you’re having a conversation with someone and you suddenly feel alarmingly isolated and removed from the situation.'

Can anyone relate to this? I want to stop being afraid of this symptom cus its what keeps me anxious..

Worryguts
09-06-12, 20:50
I can completely understand this. A few nights back I was mid crying to my husband about how I felt and I all of a sudden i felt like someone had pulled the plug out of me..... And suddenly I was on a different planet. It was very scary and I had never experienced it before and I really thought I had lost my mind. I couldnt even think straight. I have no advice on how to combat this but you are definitely NOT alone. I also suffer with anxiety caused by excessive worry. I am now on meds and hope this doesn't happen again anytime soon....

dnf03
10-06-12, 08:15
ive had anxiety for 15 years,this was my very 1st symptom and probably my least favourite
sometimes it feels as though im watching someone else walking and talking
i go through spells of having this,it comes and goes
ive just accepted its part of my daily life and i dont think it will ever go away to be honest

purplesky
10-06-12, 10:30
Yes I can relate to that feeling. It is not very pleasant. The best advice I have been given is to try and relax into it, which is very tough for me, and probably for many who have anxiety, because we become so sensitive to any small feeling often thinking the worst is happening..!

I'm still practising relaxing into that detached feeling. Its a little like trusting someone to catch you if you fall backwards, in other words it takes a lot of effort and your mind has to be quite focused I suppose.

That would be something to try maybe. If you can try to accept the feeling when it happens and go with it on a little journey, and maybe think of it as a pleasant distraction from whatever you are doing, that might work...now I really do know that is a lot to try, and it might not work first time, but its something to think about maybe. Even if when it happens you still feel scared, but think of trying to accept the feeling and go with it, that would be progress. Sometimes we can't control everything that happens in our bodies, and accepting that can be really difficult. The books by Claire Weekes are really good for panic and anxiety. There is loads about them on the internet. I read my first one many years ago, and it did help at the time. All the best to you. :)

Pacific
10-06-12, 16:28
Thanks, i like ur phrase 'its like trusting someone to catch you if u fall backwards..it really is, i have read Claire weekes book it's very helpful. I feel better knowing people can relate to this , it feels so weird wich makes it hard to discribe. I wonder how many people with anxiety/panic experience this..it seems alot