PDA

View Full Version : Repost

nick_london
12-07-06, 16:28
I replied in the other thread but the browser got a bit stroppy and it doesn't show up in mine. So, repost:

I has my first panics in the late 80s as a teenager. I remember sitting on top of a bus one morning - with a hangover, having smoked many French cigarettes the night before - feeling my thoughts to be racing; 'overthinking' I called it. Terror and fear were not there then but it wasn't long before I was walking along the street one Saturday morning, wondering what I was going to do with my life and how I was going to get a job that I wanted to actually do, when I had the first of the 'killer' ones. I somehow got to a pub and glugged a few quick pints down - I'd read somewhere that 'alcohol calms the brain'.
I didn't realise it then but a pattern was being set in stone. I was 19. I'm now 36.
I started to have them in public places: a big one in WHSmith in Croydon I remember; feelings of self-conciousness in public places, pubs and clubs required bigger doses of booze to cope. Meanwhile, my personal life was turning to crap. I had big ambitions - to act, to write etc but the anxiety and panic/ booze therapy always got in the way. Back then this was all a taboo - I never thought about seeing the doctor: I just thought there was something uniqely wrong with me.
So I binge drank, did menial work, had panic attacks and eventually became unemployed. Now I was 21. I had asthma (I sometimes think that a study of Ventolin use in childhood and its correlation to adult panic and anxiety would be revealing: a friend of mine who I only came to know in the last couple of years and who is exactly the same age as me has had a similar, though markedly worse 17 years of panic and anxiety). One winter my asthma became bad and I went on steroids which caused weight gain and ratcheted up my panic attacks 50 fold. They gave me dizzy spells and on one occasion I had a huge attack. The attack that was really the year zero of the whole condition.
It sealed my great fear of dizziness. I was incapacitated with fear; lying on my bed for ten hours convinced I'd had a stroke or suffered some greivous brain injury; I whimpered - I'd never known fear like it. No young person - nor old for that matter - should.

After that I got it back together but I developed a morbid fear of another 'attack'. In pubs and social company I tanked up to escape the fear - and suffered nervous hangovers. By my early twenties I was - by the rigorous John Hopkins University test - an alcoholic. I worked for periods and then didn't work for longer ones. I discovered marijuana - which at first was very calming. I developed a liking for drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana because 'it made it all go away'.
Only it didn't of course. And a panic attack on Marijuana is like a normal panic attack triple distilled. The strength of the twentysomething kicked in and, not put off, I just loaded more booze into the equation with a wider set of friends and acquaintances. Aged 23 and bound up with panic attacks and anxiety and the dissociation symptoms of marijuana I went into an extended period of panic, anxiety and depression. Of course, I didn't quite know what it was, except that I was more scared than I'd ever been, was scared to be alone, felt guilty all the time and hopeless.
So I presented to the doctor - who was a bluff young Australian doctor with his rugby trophies on the shelf behind him, who decided that there was nothing much wrong with me and that I 'should talk to my friends'. It was a problem long undiagnosed and now I left the surgery, scared witless and walked slowly down a dark suburban street in November - utterly lonely. I just got on with it after a fashion and worked all Christmas in a department store fighting panic, anxiety and utter despair.
The next few years saw me get some work, move in with a girlfriend and get up to all sorts of adventures - with panic attacks a constant feature and anxiety mixed in. I went to the doctor and got benzodiazepams out of him after making up a story about being spiked on LSD. These helped and, with a sinkin

Daisybun
12-07-06, 16:37
Hi Nick, wow what a story, you have been through it haven't you? I expect you know that drugs and alcohol are linked to panic and anxiety. When I was stressed out i would turn to a glass of wine to calm me down, but it just made the matter worse. I don't drink at the moment as I'm on antidepressants. What meds are you on now? Sorry yu had such a bad weekend, hopefully after all you've been through you will find some help and support that is rught for you and you can move forward into recovery.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

manmoor
12-07-06, 16:44
Hi Nick,

You have been through a hard time. Hopefully with the meds you'll start to feel better soon.

Thinking of you

Mandy

xx

Wenjoy
12-07-06, 16:51
Hi Nick
well done with how you are handing all this - very very coherent post so you understand whats going on and are trying to help yourself. Keep at it and you will get there I promise!
Good luck> Love wenjoy x

nick_london
12-07-06, 17:26
Thanks, everyone. I'm on Chlorpromazine. Didn't think much of it at first - we get impatient for results and no wonder - but it takes a few days and kicks in.

I'm well aware of the booze/drugs thing. I gave up street drugs years ago but there's the social boundary of booze. When I'm well I do yoga and drink moderately. But when the PAs kick in I tend to lean on booze - with bad results.

This condition is a real pest.

nick_london
12-07-06, 17:32
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

In looking over my post I fear I've given the impression that the panics were completel bound up with alcohol and in that sense self-inflicted. But my anxieties go back further than that. For some reason whenever I think about the panics, the major ones are bound up in alcohol but often they are not. The ones I really dread are where you get seated in a theatre or cinema in a ' vertigo' position. I had one recently in some cheap seats at the Savoy Theatre - I could have screamed - up in the gods. Very scary.

Thanks, everyone. I'm on Chlorpromazine. Didn't think much of it at first - we get impatient for results and no wonder - but it takes a few days and kicks in.

I'm well aware of the booze/drugs thing. I gave up street drugs years ago but there's the social boundary of booze. When I'm well I do yoga and drink moderately. But when the PAs kick in I tend to lean on booze - with bad results.

This condition is a real pest.

<div align="right">Originally posted by nick_london - 12 July 2006 : 18:26:43</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

canstop
02-08-06, 23:48
Hey Nick

I'm on Chlorpromazine also, it worked wonders for me, i got on a bus two days ago, first time in 7 years, i split with my girlfriend recently and had to leave her house, it seems to have worked wonders, is anyone else taking this. I also started 20mg Prozac 2 weeks ago as well.