PDA

View Full Version : Learning to drive (automatic) Tips?

davexdurham
10-06-12, 08:48
Im trying to get the confidence to learn to drive. I have completely overlooked manual because I had one of the worst experiences of my life in one (just couldnt do it at all, felt stupid and caused a panic attack). So im planning to learn in a automatic. I was just wondering if anyone has driven one and what they are like?

LAURA48
10-06-12, 09:16
Hi - I had a bad experience with manual cars many years ago - on my second lesson my instructor took me into a busy town - well it was awful. So I left it for many years 12 in fact. 15 years ago when I was going through very similiar to what I am now - once I started to feel better - started to have driving lessons in an Automatic and it was brilliant - much easier as no gears to worry about. Go for it - no where near as frightening - but remember you will always have to have an automatic car.

It only took me 3 months and past first time - best decision I have made.

Laura

Pipkin
10-06-12, 09:23
Hi Dave,

I passed my test (many years ago) in a manual but mainly drive automatics these days. In most ways, it's easier but I suppose it depends on the main reason you want to learn. If it's just to be able to get some independence and the car you drive isn't important, go for automatic. If you're really into cars, remember that an auto licence will always limit the cars you can drive. Once you've got the hang of the gears and clutch, it comes as second nature. I hadn't driven a manual for a few years until I had a courtesy car a couple of weeks ago and it came straight back to me.

My advice, give a manual a shot and if it's too hard, switch to auto.

Good luck - getting your licence and gaining the independence is one of the best things you can do.

Pip

Lousicle
10-06-12, 09:37
I don't drive automatic , but I'm guessing it's pretty easy. When I was learning to drive I had problems with panicking - tried to take my test way too early & ended up getting in a state infront of the examiner :/ failed obviously, but after I got used to it I found that driving actually helped sometimes because I was concentrating on the road instead of my anxiety :) & passed my second test which I only took when I was 100% ready.
Good luck!

Alabasterlyn
10-06-12, 10:01
I passed my driving test when I was 19 in a manual car and always drove a manual car until we started buying Mercs and most of them are automatic, so had to get used to them. They are so much easier. What I like the best is that when you pull up at traffic lights or junctions you just keep your foot lightly on the brake and as soon as you lift it your car goes forward. No bringing in the clutch and that awful fear you feel that you might go backwards before you go forwards :D

Best advice I was ever given was to forget you have a left foot when you drive an automatic :roflmao:

terror-x
10-06-12, 22:46
They are just like go karts :) lol

yvonne_uk_98
10-06-12, 23:12
Driving automatic is fantastic, I tried driving manual car long time ago, can go up gear had problems coming down gear. been driving my automatic car for about one year now and its such a wonderful boost. I enjoy driving. go for it.

theharvestmouse
10-06-12, 23:12
Yeah automatics are like driving a go kart, really easy, but I'd advise trying to learn in a manual.

Try to go somewhere like an industrial estate and get to grips with the gears before you go on the road, thats what I did.

davexdurham
18-06-12, 12:24
Has anyone ever had a small engine one around 1.4-1.6 (the kind of one you could get if you passed) If so what was the model and stuff and was it good?

dan1234
18-06-12, 12:57
There are loads of cars within that bracket. Most cars have an automatic option.

Dan