PDA

View Full Version : When to call an ambulance??

shotokansho
10-06-12, 18:28
Hello all.

This a question I have always wondered about. I have had times when I have been tempted to call an ambulance but haven't. I'm not so much talking about mental symptoms but medical/physical symptoms.
The other night I was in total agony, I could barely move. I was having awful pain right in the bottom of my belly which was spreading into both my hips and the bottom of my back. I endured this for around four hours before I finally drifted off to sleep (which was in the early hours). I only managed to get to sleep by taking too many strong painkillers. I took four 30/500 co-codamol and it only took the edge off the pain, it was definatley in the 7-8 out of 10 region. Sometimes it feels like the pain is actually worse in my hips than in my belly.
The next morning the pain was still there, but a lot milder and by the end of that day I was much more comfortable. What worries me is that I have had this pain before in the exact same place, I had a smear and swabs taken but it came back normal. (I'm not asking for medical advice).
The thing is how many of you would have called an ambulance? I felt desperate to just to get some pain relief and find out why I was in so much agony. The main reason why I didn't is because I didn't want to look or feel stupid. My mum lives with me and I didn't want her thinking I was being silly or mard or over reacting, or worse still, being a hypocondriac. Even though I was crying with the pain I endured it. Then I think to myself 'well I'm still here, and the pain has eased', but I'm still worried about it. Now I'm thinking if I am in that condition again I will definately call an ambulance to get taken to hospital and get it investigated...But will I really.
What about you guys, what would you do and at what point would you decided that you have gone through enough and call an ambulance?

Kez xx

PanchoGoz
10-06-12, 18:49
I think common sense tells you when "yes, you need an ambulance now". If you are able to sit there wandering about it, maybe it's not necessary. If it's making you cry with pain then I think you should really go back to your doctor, otherwise I would say it sounds like wind pain, which can be just awful sometimes. Constipation sort of makes your hips and legs ache too. Rather than getting to the ambulance stage, try to come to a decision about whether this pain is normal or not, and if it isn't, see your GP again and he may refer you on :)

shotokansho
10-06-12, 18:53
Yeah cheers! I know what your saying. It's defo not constipation, I have no problems in that department lol...and as far as wind goes...I'm like gale force sometimes lol.

PanchoGoz
10-06-12, 19:03
haha, it had to be said :)

Lizziesaurus
12-06-12, 21:23
This is interesting as I too have had this same dillemma, albeit for totally different issues. I have considered either dialing 999 or going to A&E sometimes due to my depression to try to be sectioned just to do something to end the misery but I too think I'll look stupid and don't do it. Also times when I have symptoms, more than likely made worse by anxiety, especially when I'm alone. Once I thought I had meningitus but a quick call, well I say quick - anyway, a quick call to nhs direct and I was put at ease.
I think that's why this forum is so good, sometimes you just need someone to go no that's a normal ache, pain etc it's fine.
At the mo I've been having pain near my pelvis, just every now and again a sharp pain - but my ibs (what I am 99% sure is ibs anyway, not been confirmed don't see the point in wasting docs time) has been playing up recently more than likely due to stress as well as crap food so I've put it down to that.

It's interesting you mention that you know when you need an ambulance etc, last August I had terrible stomach pain, from my pain killers I think and I just knew it wasn't good and although I wanted to not waste peoples time (damn anxiety) I knew I had to go and was rushed on through when I got there.

nomorepanic
12-06-12, 21:33
Remember there are alternatives to calling 999. You can call the out-of-hours doctor to start with and/or NHS direct or you can take yourself to A&E if you feel it is warranted.

xvolatileheart
12-06-12, 22:48
Remember there are alternatives to calling 999. You can call the out-of-hours doctor to start with and/or NHS direct or you can take yourself to A&E if you feel it is warranted.

I was going to say this. I've only gone to A&E once for my panic attacks, and I got a cab there. I didn't want to waste an ambulance's time because I had survived for 30 minutes so far and wasn't likely to drop dead before the cab got me to A&E. 999 should be saved for true emergencies.

shotokansho
14-06-12, 21:00
Yes, don't get me wrong I do agree with all these replies, it's just that when you are in so much pain that you know ISN'T related to your mental health it can be very scary. For instance I don't have a land line and often there isn't any credit on my mobile, so that in itself makes me panic.
There is nothing wrong with using an ambulance for your mental health issues, I have done this before. I have a history of OD and self harm so when I am not good I call the crisis team and they do send me an ambulance and the paramedics have always been lovely with me, hence on these occasions it has been serious and I was admitted.
NHS direct is a good option, the nurses are always pleasant and very very helpful. Problem with this is that there can often be a long waiting time for a call back. Luckily for me our out of hours doctors are not far away. I think next time this happens I will call the emergency doctors. I am actually at the doctors tomorrow so I think I will ask about this problem since it has happened before.
All it was is that I was just wondering what other people's opinions of it was and what their experiences were if they have used 999.

nomorepanic
14-06-12, 21:21
You can call 999 from your mobile phone without having credit - just so you know

shotokansho
14-06-12, 21:44
Oh yeah I know hun, I meant for ringing NHS direct and the out of hours docs x

nomorepanic
14-06-12, 22:13
Ahhh ok sorry lol

kashameets
14-06-12, 22:50
Pain that is felt in your lower back and hips can be a kidney stone, i have had 2 before and had pain like that...when the stone enters your bladder the pain stops.......i passed the stone but never felt it....i never called an ambulance as i have agoraphobia and staying in hospital is more scary to me than the pain but after i had projectile sick my husband insisted on ringing the NHS line and they called a doctor and asked him to ring me...but with in the next 2 mins i had passed the stone so the doctor just told me to pop to the hospital the next day with a wee sample...the doctor said by the third hour of pain most people call a ambulance so if that is what you are having problems with then you would not be alone in doing that :)

Jacsta
14-06-12, 22:51
alot of areas now are introducing 111 as a number for non emergencies - a line that can take you to out of hours and other services - I think this is free too so have a look to see if its in your area too.
Also if you are ever unsure about 999 then nhs direct are really good, they can normally judge whether you need an ambulance and what priority you are, they dont arrange callbacks for someone who is query emergency.

Hope you dont have the pain anymore

Jac

shotokansho
15-06-12, 14:25
Hi sara. Thanks for that. I was thinking kindey stone, I know it defo isn't normal. I went to the doctors today for a different reason and totally forgot to mention it because shr really annoyed and upset me which made me leave the surgery with only a little that I needed to discuss with her.
Thanks Jac xx

Mountainclimber
15-06-12, 15:06
As an ex paramedic of ten years, you should call an ambulance when you feel the need to, do not delay. The crews dont mind if you decide not to go to hospital, we always advise people " if in dout, call us out" And the bonus for the crew is ,if you travel, we can get a cup of tea at the hospital :shades:

shotokansho
16-06-12, 13:39
Awwww thanks Murphy! Did you like that work? xx

Lizziesaurus
16-06-12, 14:22
Murphy, that's really good of you to give us that snippet of info, thanks!