PDA

View Full Version : Panic/Anxiety when driving on a dual Carriage Way!!!

Kendra
10-06-12, 20:16
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this problem??

Because my panic attacks started up again when driving etc I have been really really scared to go back on a dual carriage way.

I see a talking therapist every week and she has been doing exposure therapy with me on this issue!! At first I was so frightened to even be a passenger in the car but I have started to overcome this!!

I have drove with my hubby in the car with me on the shortest on off road I could find!! I cried the first time I managed it. Then Saturday I thought I would go to the next junction and then I felt that panic feeling and came off early!!! I felt so upset all day about and still do today a bit!!

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered this and how they over came the problem?? Just feel I need a little extra help with this??

Many thanks for reading!!

Kendra xxx

Maxine1001
11-06-12, 21:24
Hiya,

I have the exact same problem! My fear of driving started when my car broke down on a dual carriageway. After that happened I avoided them completly for about 8 months.

I think one day it was about 9pm at night that I just thought 'Im gonna go and do it' when I was on my way home from college. So I drove a long way to get to a junction where I knew the stretch of ring road I would have to drive across was short and it would be over quickly. I made sure I had my rescue remedy spray on my lap and drove to the junction. I did pause for ages at the junction but I just thought that its 9pm at at night, its not busy and there arent many other cars around, its really unlikely ill have an accident if I panic too much - I can just pull over. So I started driving across the ringroad. I can remember the whole time I wanted to pull over and I hated it, but when I got to the end the feeling of relief far out weighed what I delt when I was driving across it.

I did this for the next couple of nights and focused on how good I felt after I did it the first time and slowly built my confidence in it up. I then started doing the same stretch of ring road earlier each night until I felt comfortable driving it during the day hours. Once id done that I started driving further on the ring road and can manage longer stretches.

Im still getting over it and havent yet driven past the spot where I broke down, but doing this has helped me a lot and im still building up how far I can drive on them.

When I first had problems with it a lot of people tried to get me to go with them on the ring roads and dual carriageways, or tried to set a time where they would sit with me while I drive on them. But I felt under pressure this way. Their gestures were nice and I appreciated them, but it made me feel I was tackling it before I was ready.

Best I can offer is try doing it in your own time, and at your own speed. You will get there :) Something someone said to me on here also helped me a lot, when you are on a dual carriageway you are a lot safer than you think because everyone is travelling in the same direction.

Kendra
11-06-12, 21:33
Thank you soo much for that reply!!

I have been practising with my hubby in the car like you on the smallest stretch I could find and have been ok with it until Saturday when he said try and go to the next turn off!! I just panicked completely and had to pull off!!

I have had moments when passing the slip roads thinking "go on do it" but then I chicken out!! Its just really annoys me cos I wasnt frightened of being on them until I have panicked on them for now reason what so ever!!

I did feel good the first 2 times I have done it but like you I do feel pressured but its mainly from myself from not being able to do it!!

Thanks again for your advice. It makes sense! Lets hope we both get there!!!! I am sure we will!! xxxxxx

Maxine1001
11-06-12, 22:00
I know the feeling, I never paciked on them before either. I dont know if it will help that you do it by yourself first? When I did the same stretch over and over I did have bad times on it where I completly freaked out and thought I could never do it again, but then I made myself do it again anyway - it has always been fine.

Just dont go futher than you can before YOU are ready for it. I had my sister encouraging me to go to the next junction after the one I had prepared myself for and I felt I went backwards a bit after that. Maybe try doing it by yourself on a stretch and then asking the husband to come with you on the same stretch? But say beforehand how far you are going to drive, and ask him to stay silent throughout and let you do it.

Im sure we will both get there :) xx

Stormsky
12-06-12, 07:17
I had my first panic attack when driving on motorway. I then associated the car with panic, and because of the fear, it happened every time I drove. That was 13yrs ago. I loved driving as wasn't going to let it beat me, and until you lose the fear, it keeps happening. I carried on driving every day, made myself. I haven't panicked in years now. I don't have fears anymore, and that's all anxiety is, fear of things.

Meewah
13-06-12, 07:48
Hi

Yes I have had this. I was driving on a motorway and I felt lightheaded and panicky. I slowed to the slow lane and eventually pulled over and let my wife drive as we had the children in the car. I have to say I was aprehensive how the next driving episode would go but I drove soon after and kept driving. I recommend you do this get back out there and drive otherwise you will find it harder and harder with time. I sometimes get a slight wave of panic if the motorway is full and its raining and dark but that is it. I can get it to subside because I have challenged it.

If you want to continue driving and not loose your freedom then I suggest keep exposing yourself to it and just pull over for five and do relaxation exercises if you feel unsafe. Take a mobile so you can call for support but try not to use it. One step at a time is best.

All the best

Mee

Kendra
16-06-12, 16:03
Thank you for all your lovely comments!! I have been doing exposure but not doing it enough!! I am on a mission for the next 2 week to get out and do the small stretch everyday if not twice to at least make a bit of progress!!

I really want to do it and dont want to avoid it which really I could quite easily!!

Maybe thats why I am still feeling anxious slightly all the time as I know I want to sort this out!!

I really do hope we get there!!

Kendra xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Meewah
16-06-12, 17:10
Do it Kendra. The longer you leave it the harder it is to overcome.

Go for it you can do it.

Mee

kittikat
16-06-12, 17:30
I think everyones advice is spot on Kendra. I also have a problem with driving outside my small 'comfort zone' especially avoiding busy roads/dual carriageways/motorways. I always have the fear that I will be trapped on these roads should anything happen. If I'm local and on a small road, I feel I can pull over or into a side turning or even return home quickly. I am having real problems overcoming this and penetrating my driving comfort zone....there is just a point I can't go past and I have tried all of the above. I am hoping my therapist can help me with this and I really don't know if I will be able to achieve it. My car is my safety bubble when close to home, but outside of that it's a different story....very scary. Let us know how you get on. I'd definitely be interested to hear. Good luck, Kitti :)

Liviguy
18-06-12, 17:39
Hi there,

Driving on motorways was my worst nightmare, along with being stuck in traffic.

Advice i was given by my hypnotherapist was to shout STOP and pinch your leg when you felt the panic coming.

I used to go out at night and drive one motorway junction, then two, then three until I got my confidence back again.