PDA

View Full Version : Major intrusive thoughts. No OCD

Emera
10-06-12, 20:36
I've been having a lot of thoughts enter my head over the past 6 or 7 months that have bithered me and have very recently within the past few days been having some very long lasting ones that have been there throughout my day. I'm 14 years old and don't know what to do, and who to tell.

I can't dismiss them at all, and they're often me doing things to close family members or friends. They appear for no reason, and although I would never do anything like it to anybody for any reason, they're getting stronger and i don't know how to cope with them anymore.

I have ADHD, and have read about them. I haven't heard any cases attached to a child having ADHD, so can somebody please give me some help? I'll appreciate it more than you can imagine.

KK77
10-06-12, 21:44
Can you tell your parents/relative or a close friend and maybe ask them to go to your GP with you?

OCD can be part of any anxiety or depressive disorder. These intrusive thoughts do need to be addressed which is why I asked if you could tell someone close to you & go to see your GP.

There are plenty of treatments for this and it doesn't make you in any way abnormal or bad. Part of the problem is guilt - thinking you must be 'bad' for having such thoughts - but that is not the case as you would never act on your thoughts and hurt anyone.

But the first step is to speak to a doctor. Perhaps you could approach one of your teachers if you feel comfortable enough?

Let us know how you get on.

Emera
10-06-12, 21:52
Can you tell your parents/relative or a close friend and maybe ask them to go to your GP with you?

OCD can be part of any anxiety or depressive disorder. These intrusive thoughts do need to be addressed which is why I asked if you could tell someone close to you & go to see your GP.

There are plenty of treatments for this and it doesn't make you in any way abnormal or bad. Part of the problem is guilt - thinking you must be 'bad' for having such thoughts - but that is not the case as you would never act on your thoughts and hurt anyone.

But the first step is to speak to a doctor. Perhaps you could approach one of your teachers if you feel comfortable enough?

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you so much for the advise. I just need to bring myself to tell my mum. I really appreciate your help.

SLjimbo
11-06-12, 22:36
That's the hardest thing while you're dealing with intrusive thoughts. I was scared at first when I told my mother I was having these thoughts, but I felt the weight of the world off my shoulders when I finally told her.

I definitely recommend telling one of your parents about your symptoms and schedule an appointment with either a psychiatrist or therapist. The GP will probably just recommend the same thing if you see him or her. The psychiatrist will probably prescribe the right medication (if needed) and will provide you with CBT.