PDA

View Full Version : In a state.

countrygirl
11-06-12, 12:00
Five years ago i developed a bad ache around my ribs and felt as if I had a tight elastic band round my middle, when i tried to lay down at night I would get a terrible pulling sensation around my tummy button and could not sleep at all unless I sat bolt upright. I also seemed to have irritable bowel with wind and having to go to the loo in the night when I could not sleep but did not know if this was because I was in such a panic or not. I had loads of tests, abdominal ultrasound to check my gallstones were not causing a problem or anything else wrong, loads of blood tests, sigmoidoscopy and then colonscopy and gastroscopy ( I have a hiatus hernia). I had a terrible 3 months with these symptoms and I was even worrying about carcinoid syndrome!

I subsequently had my appendix out and a good rummage around a year later and all was fine for different symptoms!

Eventually it went away and I had a variety of possible causes from Drs- I have degenerated spinal discs so this could have been causing it, it could be bad attacks of IBS but obvioulsy it was not life threatening and I had not had it again until now.

About 4 weeks ago I started with the aching ribs again and was worrying about my acid reflux that was not being well controlled with my medication and also I had not had an abdominal ultrasound to check my gallstones etc for 4 years and generally worrying about every pain and ache of the ribs. Yesterday it got really bad and I had the tight elastic band round middle feeling and the horrible pulling sensation was back when I tried to lay down in bed. I spent all night sat bold upright in a panic not being able to sleep with a racing heart. I also had the wind and had to go to the loo for bm in the night but again is this panic or not??

Saw my GP today who is very understanding, he thinks back muscular but my worrying or just the irritation of spinal nerves can upset bowels as well.
He agreed for me to have loads of bloods done like fbc, liver, kidneys , bones, esr and cealiac and also for my benefit only he is arranging an abdominal ultrasound to put my mind at rest on pancreas etc.

I know whatever this is is not life threatening as its exactly same symptoms as 5 years ago and I am still here but am panicking about not being able to sleep at all as I cannot sleep sitting up, also my heart is racing at about 100 al the time, I hate hate this!

LittleMissSleepy
11-06-12, 16:02
hey countrygirl, I get this tight 'elastic band' sensation too around my abs/ribs and tummy. Like you I have damaged my diaphragm muscles. So I put it down to this.

Doc always thinks its more anxiety related though. It can come at any time whether anxious or not. It is a really strange feeling and the muscles at the sides of the waist can also feel like they are being pulled, front and back. I don't think there is enough advice or help for those with HH, which is not cool as there are so many different symptoms related to it. As you say probably not life threatening but the further anxiety it causes can not be doing us any good.

countrygirl
11-06-12, 17:24
Thanks littlemisssleepy. Can I ask if this sensation stops you sleeping at night when you have it????

I can cope with it daytime but it gets so much worse once I am laid in bed to the point of being unbearable and of course there is no way I can sleep when I have it so the anxiety piles up even more.

What didn't help ws my GP told me about a report that said that people who take sleeping pills even just a few nights a year are much more likely to die early ( thanks Dr!) so whereas in the past I would on occasion take a sleeping pill and not worry now I am paranoid about taking a sleeping pill so end up awake all night grrrr

macc noodle
11-06-12, 19:52
Hey countrygirl

I am sure that all will be fine and that this is a flare up of something non life threatenting and non urgent although distressing.

What you are reporting sounds very similar to symptoms I suffer when extremely anxious and I get no respite at night - in fact it seems worse at night because of the fact that it is night time - if that makes sense.

Get the bloods done and the ultrasound and you will have some answers.

Macc Noodle
xxxx

countrygirl
12-06-12, 11:52
Thanks Macc. Are your symptoms the tight pulling feelings and do they actually stop you sleeping at all.
I slept like a log last night after no sleep night before but still cannot decide if the feeling is muscular or bowel it seems as if its both!
Having all the bloods done on Thursday- hope I stay upright needles are not my thing:wacko:

Jules147
12-06-12, 12:08
Five years ago i developed a bad ache around my ribs and felt as if I had a tight elastic band round my middle, when i tried to lay down at night I would get a terrible pulling sensation around my tummy button and could not sleep at all unless I sat bolt upright. I also seemed to have irritable bowel with wind and having to go to the loo in the night when I could not sleep but did not know if this was because I was in such a panic or not. I had loads of tests, abdominal ultrasound to check my gallstones were not causing a problem or anything else wrong, loads of blood tests, sigmoidoscopy and then colonscopy and gastroscopy ( I have a hiatus hernia). I had a terrible 3 months with these symptoms and I was even worrying about carcinoid syndrome!

I subsequently had my appendix out and a good rummage around a year later and all was fine for different symptoms!

Eventually it went away and I had a variety of possible causes from Drs- I have degenerated spinal discs so this could have been causing it, it could be bad attacks of IBS but obvioulsy it was not life threatening and I had not had it again until now.

About 4 weeks ago I started with the aching ribs again and was worrying about my acid reflux that was not being well controlled with my medication and also I had not had an abdominal ultrasound to check my gallstones etc for 4 years and generally worrying about every pain and ache of the ribs. Yesterday it got really bad and I had the tight elastic band round middle feeling and the horrible pulling sensation was back when I tried to lay down in bed. I spent all night sat bold upright in a panic not being able to sleep with a racing heart. I also had the wind and had to go to the loo for bm in the night but again is this panic or not??

Saw my GP today who is very understanding, he thinks back muscular but my worrying or just the irritation of spinal nerves can upset bowels as well.
He agreed for me to have loads of bloods done like fbc, liver, kidneys , bones, esr and cealiac and also for my benefit only he is arranging an abdominal ultrasound to put my mind at rest on pancreas etc.

I know whatever this is is not life threatening as its exactly same symptoms as 5 years ago and I am still here but am panicking about not being able to sleep at all as I cannot sleep sitting up, also my heart is racing at about 100 al the time, I hate hate this!

Tightness in ribs/back pain are IBS symptoms. I get it from time to time. IBS pains can occur anywhere between your nipples and groin. Colofac and Colpermin work for me as and when I need them. Once you have had IBS it always comes back, even after long periods of remission lasting a few years!

LittleMissSleepy
12-06-12, 16:34
It's more of a 'tearing'/pulling type ache which is uncomfortable and weird/strange rather than a full on pain. So far I've not lost sleep over this tight sensation. When the tightness is quite high up from the abs (1/4 way from bottom of ribs), it can leave me breathless, so that is more frightening. No idea what it is, does feel musclular or something 'foreign' causing a restriction (?) Not got to the 'bottom' of mine yet. Maybe it is undiagnosed IBS (?).

Hope you're feeling better soon. It's best to avoid using the sleeping tabs. I know sleep is so precious....