PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!! I can't cope :'(

BlueEyes28
12-06-12, 04:08
Please help, im 27 i have suffered with anxiety since i was 16, it revolves around my healtg and im terrified that il die. I have managed my anxiety well for years now but the other day it hit me like a ton of bricks and i really can't cope! It started this time because iv had a bad mucus cough for the past 4 weeks! Iv also had sinusitis, Iv had antibiotics which did nothing, the cough got so bad and i noticed traces of blood, so i emidiately went to my local walk in centre as it was sunday the doc listened to my chest and then told me that i have COPD a lung dicease due to smoking! OMG iv never been so scared in all my life. She said i need to stop smoking straight amaway. Well of course after being told that all i wanted was a fag! I went straight to the chemist and got patches and an inhilator which i am currently using. I went to my mums in floods of tears and panic, she suggested that i get a second opinion. I went to an out of hours clinic and the doc there was quite angry that this doc had diagnossed this just by listening to my chest and said that it would need a lot more tests. He listened to my chest and said there is some smoke eelated noises going on but its not COPD! I have cut down to 5 cigs a day from 30 but i am still terrified, the cough seems worse and im scared he may of got it wrong or taht i may have something else ie lung cancer. Im so scared and dont know what to do please help!!

waunder
12-06-12, 06:37
I do not smoke but I had a virus this winter that was like what you described and it lasted quite a long time .I got a sinus infection that moved to my throat ,glands and finally my chest . It was terrible and took weeks to get over. Lots of people got it over here. Anyway infections can spread especially sinus and I took three different types of antibiotics. It finally worked on the infection but not the virus. Good luck and you never diagnosis someone with severe diseases without all the testing, that is crazy. Keep up with the quitting though.:)

Worryguts
12-06-12, 07:35
My anxiety is due to not wanting to die and always heightens when symptoms are involved. You are not alone xx

Have you tried a vapestick?? ( i cant leave a link but look up on google) My nana who is 72 has smoked all her life and it scares me so I'm going to purchase the £50 kit for her to try.... These apparently look and taste like the real deal. So maybe worth trying to get you off the cigarettes.
X

countrygirl
12-06-12, 11:34
Stupid Dr but he may have done you a favour by scaring you enough to stop you smoking. It would be extremely unusual for someone of your age to get COPD full blown but as the other Dr said you do have some damage already from smoking so given how young you are you need to work really really hard to quit smoking.

I would go back to your normal GP and explain what has happened and they can then send you for necessary tests to reassure you that there is nothing sinister going on and use this as a basis for starting your new cig free life!

I appreciate how hard it is to stop smoking as my mother was a heavy smoker, her sister stopped smoking instantly the day my mother who was 60 was diagnosed with a smoking related cancer, she said it was incredibly hard but she did it and is still around now at 83 BUT she has paid the price as she has very furred up arteries in her legs from 50 yrs of smoking.

Just a wee hint:yesyes: that it is in your best interests to stop smoking before you are older and the damage is done.

Want_to_break_free
12-06-12, 13:31
you can't just diagnose COPD by listening to someone's chest, they need to do a full spirometry test (breathing test)... unbelievable that your GP said you had a COPD without testing you properly!!!

spuder
12-06-12, 13:35
i agree with the above post u need an chest xray and loads of tests to digonoise copd my old freinds mum has it and she was bk and to the hosp