PDA

View Full Version : Messed up exam, im a huge failure, now what?!

GirlAfraid23
12-06-12, 06:43
Had an exam yday that my career choice rests on.
I've completely messed it up & know I didn't pass through nerves.
I don't really know what my options are now...I've already handed in my notice at work because I felt sure i would pass.
Now I've got to think of plan b, im also worried about what to tell people I know as everybody knows my plan for next year.
I barely slept last night - got about an hour

lizzie29
12-06-12, 21:00
Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. It doesn't mean you're a failure though, it's just one exam. Loads of people have failed exams. Also, a lot of people re-sit exams, whether it's at school, college or university - would this be an option? It may mean you have to delay whatever your plan for next year is, but in that time you could perhaps gain more experience.

PanchoGoz
12-06-12, 21:11
When do you get your results?

Lousicle
12-06-12, 21:29
What exam was it? What level are u studying at?
College course can be repeated if u have failed , or maybe a resit might be possible if u speak to the tutor??
There are options so even if u have failed dont worry!!!!

GirlAfraid23
12-06-12, 21:58
Well im 23, its my maths gcse, I've already taken it twice, both times getting a D.
I need it for teaching, I've been accepted onto the course with the condition that i get my maths GCSE. There's no way they will let me on the course even if I re sit as it all begins in september.
I'm pulling my hair out, I have a second one tomorrow - calculator paper & I'm bricking it.

I get the results in late august, help! I can't wait that long.
The worst thing is that i have a degree, 2 A's in GCSE English & 8 other GCSEs at C level.
This damn maths is the only thing holding me back from my dream. I just don't 'get' maths and I only want to teach KS1!!!

I'm thinking of trying to find a T.A/LSA job instead now for the meantime

PanchoGoz
12-06-12, 22:35
My sister had that problem exactly - had to keep doing "functional skills maths" but couldnt. It's not fair on teachers who are not maths minded. I do hope you passed, it might have been better than you think because you were nervous maybe? (It's interesting to note a lot of anxious people can't do maths)
Best of luck.

willigetwiser
12-06-12, 23:22
easy for me to say but only 23 - plenty of time. Experience as TA may be perfect option in short term. Also approach college you applied to and ask for advice.
Re. maths perhaps consider a personal tutor. My guess is this experience will make you a better teacher.
Take care
xx

Elle-Kay
13-06-12, 13:18
Will your college/University accept a GCSE equivalent? My dad teaches "key skills" in literacy/numeracy at a GCSE equivalent level, and my husband had to do the same in order to apply to University.