PDA

View Full Version : anxiety sickness

cheryl foster
12-06-12, 08:47
i was wondering if anyone has had what feels like a morning sickness with their anxiety? ive suffered anxiety for years and have had the flutters of the heart..but now when anxious i feel physically sick. ive never had this before and am a bit worried.

Jules147
12-06-12, 11:05
I had that symptom, as you describe it, morning sickness for about 3 weeks this time last year. I also had a headache so I put 2 an 2 together got 49 and thought I had a brain tumour!

Here I am a year later with no headache, no morning sickness, no other symptoms and presumably no brain tumour. ;)

A few sessions of CBT did the trick in August and September last year.

Sickness is part of the fight/flight syndrome. When your body is preparing to run or fight your digestion shuts down and your body will jettison undigested food, food waste and liquid giving you the urge to urinate, defacate, vomit or a combination. Sometimes the urge to urinate may predominate, other times vomit etc. You are currently going through a nausea/vomit phase. It will pass and quicker if you don't fear it.

It is a normal bodily function and a normal reaction to fear. Hopefully awareness of this will help you to break the fear - symptom -fear cycle.

imissnotworrying
12-06-12, 14:42
I feel sick sometimes when I get anxious, it doesn't happen often but I do start to feel uneasy and sick, so it can indeed be an anxiety symptom. I think the reason I don't get it so much is because I usually drink tea that is pretty calming to an upset stomach, such as peppermint tea, you could try that it might help ease it :) if the sick feeling is coming more from your chest area it could be trapped wind, i've also felt sick from having trapped wind (even though i couldn't feel any trapped wind) but usually drinking a fizzy drink makes me burp and i no longer feel sick, but sometimes it's more a sicky stomach and then i go for something that'll calm my stomach. I also tend to eat things that are easy to digest, i think the sick feeling happens to me more when I've been eating snacks and junk food, but that's just me personally Xxx