PDA

View Full Version : worse anxiety at night?

ImogenX
12-06-12, 18:11
I was just wondering if anyone else found their anxiety worse at night? I find it much harder to think rationally and last night I had a horrible panic attack where I was literally hysterical and felt like I couldn't breathe and this morning when I woke up (after about an hour sleep) I wasn't even entirely sure what got me sooooo anxious and upset and panicky. I often find this is when I feel worst, is this quite normal amongst people with bad anxiety?

Rach29
12-06-12, 18:20
Hi i find my anxietys worse at night mine always starts about 6ish and lasts until im asleep if it gets too bad i have an awful nights sleep were i wake up panicking its horrible i know how you feel just keep telling yourself its just anxiety nothings wrong and do something to take your mind off it thats what i try and do.

xBettyBoopx
12-06-12, 19:42
Hi Imogen

My anxiety is worse at night. I wake up quite often and my heart is racing and breathing funny. The darkness makes it worse I think. I have on several occasions had to grab the laptop or a puzzle book or something to try and take my mind off of it.

I've heard from people that you should get up and walk around, maybe get a mug of warm milk.

Els

BobbyDog
12-06-12, 19:46
Night times are the worst for me aswell ImogenX,

When I am not mobile and in bed, I have time to check my body and mind for any anxiety symptoms and react accordingly by having a panic attack.

I try to busy myself until I start to feel a little bit better.

ImogenX
12-06-12, 20:28
ah, thanks everyone for your responses, made me feel a bit less silly! It seems to be when my anxiety is at its worst, and I actually cant stay over at other peoples houses because I get very nervous and tend to have some form of panic/anxiety attack! ugh, really want to get rid of it all :(

Lousicle
12-06-12, 20:37
Yeahh night time is the worst for me too. I have noon idea why it just is ..
Once I'm asleep it's fine it's just from about 9-10pm onwards :/ i get panic attacks sometimes , usually it's just feeling very anxious & on edge .. I've started munching on crisps & sweets when anxious but this is no possible if I'm having a full blown anic so I just ride it out & force myself to sleep if I can.

kwadi
12-06-12, 22:16
It happens also to me. I wake up in the morning 4-5am and I cannot sleep any longer. My head is full of thoughts and I cannot quiet them down. It sometimes develops in stronger anxiety and I feel a very painful knot in my stomach which also keeps me awaken. Then I am ok for first few hours in the morning but I need a lest one coffee later in a day.
I found that a glass of hot water/milk helps. I believe it widens blood vessels in my stomach and blood from my brain moves to the stomach and my brain can easier switch off. It sometimes works I must say.

Lousicle
12-06-12, 22:24
I don't wake up early , it has happened on a couple of occasions but not regularly.
Mornings are usually my best time as I wake up sleepy & relaxed , it's through the day that the anxiety builds up I think.

ImogenX
12-06-12, 22:40
I am the exact same as you Lousicle, I tend to feel much better and more positive about the day ahead in the morning whereas at night time I feel like its the only time in the day that I get to be by myself and my thoughts seem like too much and I end up getting very anxious and panicky.. I feel best in the morning and just before bed its at its worst.

I don't tend to wake up in the middle of the night from it, but it makes it hard for me to go to sleep cause I get so tense and anxious that I find I am very tired after it all that I end up going into a deep sleep once I do actually fall asleep!

Deepest Blue
12-06-12, 22:42
Hi Imogen,

I am the exact same, my anxiety is worst at night (or any time I need to sleep).

Why lying in bed, I can feel my pulse racing and heart beating loudly :( Even when I do fall asleep it doesn't last for more than an hour of so or end up waking up because I've had a nightmare because falling asleep without feeling relaxed more than likely ends up with this type of effect :(

Hope you feel better soon x

PanchoGoz
12-06-12, 22:42
Firstly, establish that when you go to bed you must either have your problem solved or come to a compromise. Write this down in bed if that helps.

If I start to panic at night I remember LURFAG.
Listen to sounds in your room/outside to ground yourself
Understand that at night time you are fatigued and over-sensitized
Relax your stomach, shoulders, stop picking at lips or scrunching fists
Float past any thoughts and past waves of panic
Analyze the feelings of terror in your body, what they feel like, objectively
Go back to thinking about something else or sleeping!