PDA

View Full Version : Doctors' receptionists - why do they make it so hard?

Elle-Kay
13-06-12, 13:11
Last week when I saw my Dr (for workplace stress & worsening of anxiety/panic as a result) he told me to call on Monday if I needed a sick note, and make an appointment to see him again for a follow-up late this week. In reception the receptionist said that no advance appointments were being booked, so I left it and thought I would call to book for this Thurs/Fri when I collected my sick note. Well apparently that was a mistake, and gives the receptionist cause for speaking to you like an idiot.

I just spoke to them and said that the Dr wanted to see me on Thurs/Fri. She said there were no appointments available with him until 27th June (I don't believe this as I know the GPs have a mix of same-day and advance appointments in their calendar each day). I explained that I was advised to come this week, and my sick note will expire before 27th. She said I could see another Dr. I explained again that I was asked by the Dr specificially to see him. She said again that there was nothing until 27th. I said that I would ring on the day then. She said that I wouldn't necessarily be able to see the Dr I requested doing it that way. I explained for a third time that the Dr had specifically asked me to see HIM, on Thurs/Fri THIS WEEK. She then said I should have booked that appointment at the time then. I said that the receptionist at the time had said no advance appoinments were being made. She then tried explaining the difference between an advance appointment and an advance appointment..... (no, you are not seeing things, she did actually try to tell me that me asking last week for an appointment this week is NOT an advance booking..........)

Long story short (too late?) I'm now waiting for a call-back from the Dr himself, but not before I had to insist that she change the wording of the memo she left him from "Patient wants appointment this week. None available" to "Dr requested patient be seen by him this week. No appointments available" -- she just couldn't understand that all I was trying to do was follow the Dr's advice, not be a pain in the arse! I mean, I don't actually NEED the Dr to call me - he has already told me the plan of action, and all I NEED is for the receptionist to respect that!

I just don't understand it. Surely as the surgery works (supposedly) in the best interest of the patient, what the Dr advises should be acted upon?! Instead, what you get is a stroppy receptionist intent on sticking to the rules, and leaving you with a no-win situation. I'm now feeling really cross, agitated and anxious because I'm scared stiff my note will expire before I can see a Dr and I'll have to go back to work, and all because the receptionist isn't prepared to be flexible to abide by the Dr's instructions to me :(

littleredhen
13-06-12, 16:33
Hi Leah

I know what you mean - I used to have a surgery like that. Thankfully, my new one is much better.

I would phone again and ask to speak to the Practice Manager - or maybe just write in. It's not on that the receptionist gives you such a hard time. it's not their place at all. It's also not their place to reprimand you because you didn't know the system - it IS their job to explain the system to to you!

Hope you get it sorted and it's easier next time.

Bliddy annoying though!
LRH

gungelad
13-06-12, 16:54
Its even worse when you know them :-( Hope it becomes a more positive experience....

Elle-Kay
13-06-12, 18:36
Thanks guys. I know that there ARE good medical receptionists out there - one of my very good friends is one and would not have spoken to a patient at her practice as the one at my practice did - and I've no quibble with the GPs at my practice, but I just didn't need the added stress of worrying whether my hand will be forced into returning to work :(

shotokansho
13-06-12, 18:54
Grrrr @receptionists. At our surgery we can have telephone appointments. Do you think you could do that?

LAURA48
13-06-12, 18:55
Hi Leah I am a Medical Secretary and a GP receptionist and a very experienced one.

This particular receptionist did not sound very helpful - am sure you were nice but we do get so much verbal abuse beyond belief.

Regarding prebookables - um? Grey areas - depends was Primary Care Trust you are under but prebookables can be booked 2 weeks in advance - no more than 6 per doctor - so if they are taken you have to ring on the day as soon as the surgery opens. Much of the time there are never enough doctors in the practice at anyone time to match patient demand. Lots of people waste GP time coming in daily with stupid things - like sore finger, etc, when a pharmacist could help or just use plain common sense!

I have been a receptionist since 1988 and have come across everything and you do get to know geniune people against time wasters (not saying you are) and I always try to be kind and helpful - they usually ask for me!

I understand when you are ill you do not want added stress - hope you get sorted out.

Laura x

purplesky
13-06-12, 19:26
Of course there are good medical receptionists. :)

It is just a real shame they seem to be in the minority when we often most need to be listened to or treated with respect/sensitivity.

Sadly, when I have rung the response has often been quite curt and almost rude, and I am polite. I sympathise Leah, sounds like you were banging your head against a wall in that particular case.

I book in advance now on the internet wherever possible..makes my life just a little bit better.

The one time I did need to ring recently for blood results, I was spoken to very abruptly with no niceties. It doesn't exactly make me want to ring again. Maybe that's the point.

I'm not looking for someone to be falsely fawning, just briefly polite really, and to speak like I am not an inconvenience.

It is an area that needs addressing, because people with mental health problems (or anyone with low confidence) often don't have the confidence to ring anyone let alone GP reception, so when they do to be met with the attitude we often come across, is unacceptable in my view, and can mean they will be reluctant to ring back.

I can understand that all sorts of people ring, but if call centres can deal with stroppy or obnoxious people in the right manner, then I would think GP receptionists can, with the right training. :)

LAURA48
13-06-12, 19:35
It is usually the Receptionists that are in excellent health themselves. My colleague is one of them and I cringe at the way she talks to people - very rude - even when patients are being nice. Afraid there are some old dragons still out there!

Laura

Elle-Kay
13-06-12, 20:00
Thanks guys, and especially Laura for the info re. advance bookings - if only the receptionist I spoke to had taken the time to actually explain to me. I'm perfectly sensible of restrictions on offices etc. (I actually used to be a medical receptionist, in the private health sector) but think that if you don't want unreasonable patients you need to give them the pertinent information.

Anyway, my GP rang me after surgery and it has all been sorted - he admitted I was really in a Catch-22 re. appointments so has booked me one himself for next Thursday (a week prior to the first one I was offered by reception) and has said that he will renew my sick note on Monday, so I'm happy enough to wait now until I've seen him again and don't have to worry about being forced back to work. All's well that ends well :)

LAURA48
13-06-12, 20:11
Leah - if you don't seem to be getting anywhere ask for a GP telephone consultation - they are always availalbe - if that fails ask to speak to the Practice Manager.

dan1234
13-06-12, 20:28
At my surgery I can book 4 weeks in advance, via telephone in person or online. I always book 2 weeks in advance and have no problems seeing my GP of choice. I am a lucky guy from these posts.

ElizabethJane
13-06-12, 21:38
Hi Leah I'm sorry that you have had trouble booking another appointment with your GP. My GP can book appointments herself in her office. There are always 'gaps' in the doctors day when they writes up notes and catch up on paperwork. Maybe he would agree to see you in one of these gaps? I tried to get an appointment with any doctor today but was told there weren't any or tomorrow or Friday. I could ring at 8.00am and take pot luck. On this occasion I chose to see a private GP. It wasn't a situation that I wanted to get myself in. Tonight I have seen a GP and a consultant and hopefully gone some of the way to get the problem sorted. EJ

Magic
13-06-12, 22:04
Can I please add to this topic.
This is a one off--- but I would like to tell you about it.
My hubby rang the GPs surgery to ask the receptionist for the results of his blood
test he had the week before, and was told it was satisfactory.
I thought it was ok at the time. Anyway, the pain my husband had got, got worse so I persuaded him to see his GP again.
He told him about the blood test result he was given over the phone,and Gp said
he had been given the wrong result. To cut a long story short,
---hubby waiting for hip and knee replacement. Hip first.
I was so upset about the blood result saga I rang the Practice manager.
I said I did not want to make formal complaint. I wanted her to make it clear to the receptionists ( there are a lot) to give the correct information to the patients.as it could happen again to some one else.
Take care xx