PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawing cold turkey

blue_haired_devil
13-06-12, 17:30
I want to get onto seroxat in the vain hope it might help me feel better. I've decided to stop the duloxetine cold turkey and was wondering what to expect? I don't want to tapper off as it will take too long and I already feel awful. The GP says I have to be clear of duloxetine for a week before I can start the seroxat, so come next Friday, when I see her, I'm hoping to be ready.

So does anyone have any experience of going cold turkey on this?

dan1234
14-06-12, 19:18
Never a good idea, but I stopped citalopram cold turkey without major problems..

Dan

joy
14-06-12, 19:24
i've cold turkeyed on several meds difficult to say whether the after effects were withdrawal or just my anxiety. Most gps or shrinks whould advice you to withdraw slowly but as you say takes too long. As long as you are prepared to feel awful you could try it not that I'm advising it. Hope seroxat works for you as I gather duloxetine hasnt

Joy

purplesky
14-06-12, 19:32
That's the thing, you never quite know if what you are feeling is side effects of the new med, or withdrawal of the old, or if you will feel worse than if you had tapered off Duloxerine.. I can't help thinking there is a better way, but its yor choice obviously..

Maybe its worth speaking to your doctor again and talking to see if there is something you can take alongside the Duloxetine while tapering off, though you might have already done that.

When I tried cold turkey on Citalopram I couldn't sleep, so it wasn't a good idea, and had to taper off slowly in the end.

Hopefully someone else will come along with experience of this particular med and advise you more..

blue_haired_devil
14-06-12, 20:12
Thanks for replying people. I am also on 3 other meds (beta blockers, valium and pregabalin) so I'm not doing it completely unaided.

I just need to feel better and I've been stuck on duloxetine for 3 years with no real help.

I've got to day 3 so far and need to be off it for a week before they'll let me start the seroxat. By the time I see my GP it will be 10 days, so hopefully the worst will be over and I can start trying other pills to get me better.

purplesky
16-06-12, 10:25
That's good then. Well good luck, and hope it all goes well. :)

blue_haired_devil
30-06-12, 05:34
Thanks folks, 2 weeks later and I think I'm pretty much clear of the withdrawal, but I did have a few days of feeling a bit strange and I got the weird motion delay thing with moving my head. I'm supposed to go onto seroxat today, need to try and psych myself up for that one.