PDA

View Full Version : Demyelination without having MS?

butterfly00
14-06-12, 03:25
Is it possible to have demyelination of the nerves without having MS?

KK77
14-06-12, 06:04
Yes I think there are other non-MS diseases that feature demyelination. However it's difficult to simply diagnose with MRI - there would have to be physical and neurological symptoms first. And I would have thought, pretty serious ones.

Why are you worried about this Butterfly?

butterfly00
14-06-12, 07:30
I have an appointment with a neurologist in 6 weeks. I have been having periods of numb right leg and arm, uncordinated hands, serious brain fog, and few other symptoms. My gp said all she could think of was MS. This is terrifyingme to no end and wondered if you could have nerve damage like demyelination without having full blown MS I need somthing to give me some hope, other wise for 6 weeks I will be torturing myself.

---------- Post added at 06:30 ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 ----------

would an MRI rule out MS.
Also what is the difference between a cat scan and an MRI
I have an anxiety for many years and when these symptoms started, my anxiety went through the roof, this has been going for more than a year and now I am at the point where this issue of having or not having MS could cure my debilitating anxiety, if I dont have MS I am going to feel so free. How ever I just dont know how I will be able handle life if I do have MS.

KK77
14-06-12, 07:51
It could also be fibromyalgia or ME which aren't progressive diseases & have similar symptoms. Anxiety itself can cause these symptoms too - doesn't necessarily mean MS or another demyelinating disease. I have fibromyalgia/ME & I also thought the worst because I had a lot of numbness and pain.

It's also likely that MS symptoms would result in complete loss of partial function rather than transient numbess/lack of coordination. But I am not a physician so can only go on my experience.

One thing I can say is that your symptoms don't necessarily guarantee MS or some other horrid progressive illness.

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

If you have severe symptoms like partial paralysis or neurological problems an MRI would probably show up nerve damage caused by demyelination.

However, in your case it's very likely to come back completely normal.

---------- Post added at 07:51 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

I must go now but feel free to PM me Butterfly.

countrygirl
14-06-12, 19:25
You can also have demylienation show up on an mri brain scan and not have ms as well!!

I had this show up 10 years ago and for about 6 years was told that it probably wasn't ms as it was not in the right areas of the brain but time would tell. Eventually after repeat scans showing no change the neuros said that loads of people have what looks like ms lesions in the brain but in fact they are not indicative of anything. The scans were ahead of the medicine 10 years ago.

This is why they do not diagnose ms purely by mri brain scan alone. They also do other tests and will never diagnose ms without doing a lumbar puncture as this is definitive test but as it has risks is not done lightly.

YOur symptoms could just as easily be due to spine problems like a slightly herniated disc or anxiety as a neuro disease.