PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux? Self help?

mike_coventry_uk
14-06-12, 18:32
Hi guys,

I have been suffering with aid reflux a longtime now and try a few things to ease it along side the meds but still have bad symptoms ATM! Anyone got any good ideas of easing the symptoms!

My main symptom is thick mucus and currently have raised my bed and taking 40mg esomeprazole!

Any helpful hints or ideas would be great!

Thanks

Mike

miss_moose
14-06-12, 18:53
A hot cup of tea really helps mucus. I suffer with it too, especially in the mornings or when I cry.

countrygirl
14-06-12, 19:18
I have a hiatus hernia since Iwas 20 and have have taken the first ulcer drugs (famotidine) for past 21years. Even with this I still have had heartburn at some time every day. I am at moment debating going onto omeprazole to control it better as I am having to use antacids in the day as well.

Are you very overweight as this can have a huge impact on acid reflux.
Keep a food diary and a heartburn diary so you can try and discover what causes it as I find that within an hour or two of eating certain foods I will have bad heartburn and I avoid them ( have a very restricted diet!).

I know you have recently had scope haven't you - did they find if you had a haitus hernia??

mike_coventry_uk
14-06-12, 20:39
No I didn't have a scope as the gastro didn't think it was needed,I had a barium swallow done but it found nothing untoward! My swallow mechanisms are normal and there was no sign of hernia or any growths or ulcers in my Esophogus or stomach!

I am not having too much heartburn as the esomeprazole seems to control it my main problem is the thick mucus I keep producing and have no idea why! My throat seems tigh at times as well!

I'm not scared there is anything major wrong but wish they would send me for a scope! I take loads of antacids during the day and raise my bed but feel tht my throat is closing in the mornings when I wake!

I am a little over weight I guess how much does this affect it? What foods should I avoid do you know?

Mike

countrygirl
14-06-12, 22:09
Being a little overweight would not affect it much at all but being very overweight pushes the stomach upwards!
This may sound like a silly question but why are you taking antacids if you don't have heartburn??? The antacids depending on the type can coat your throat with goo to protect it from the acid reflux and if you are taking alot of them this could be the cause of your mucus - worth a thought.
The barium swallow would have shown up haitus hernia but I wonder why yohad one of these as standard practise is for a gastroscopy with any stomach issues unless it was ENT who did it as they seem to favour barium swallow for some reason??
What foods to avoid is totally individual and found out by trial and error. I cannot eat cake or biscuits or anything tomato based or spicy or herby or soup. Drinking liquid with meals is bad as well you should wait at least half an hour after you have eaten.
Hopefully some of this will be of use to you.

mike_coventry_uk
14-06-12, 22:48
I take antacids cos I think I have lpr! The pepsin and bile are getting into my throat and the Gaviscon advance is meant to helpit! I don't think with lpr you get heartburn and obviously the omeprazole controls the heartburn anyway!

The gastro said that she didnt think I needed a scope and that barium would be fine! I co e under the obese catagory but not overly obese!

I am going to make a effort to exercise more and cut down the junk food see if it helps,will get me in better shape for my hol at least :)

Cath4091
15-06-12, 16:11
Hi Mike, I'm also taking omeprazole but the best instant relief I've found is half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water - drink the whole lot in one and it seems to regulate the acid in the stomach (and forces you to burp, be warned!)

LittleMissSleepy
15-06-12, 16:34
Wearing tight clothing also causes discomfort.