PDA

View Full Version : How to tell me GP

Anxiety Jim
14-06-12, 22:25
Hi,

I think I may have aspergers or autism, for years quite a few people have commented on me being autistic, half jokingly, but I think I might be. I really really loathe social situations, which could just be social anxiety, there are also more symptoms, not liking the sounds of the tv/radio on an odd number, eating the same thing nearly every meal etc, and I get very angry easily.

I have a cousin who has autism, so I'm taking a guess this might increase my chance of having it? Also I did the AQ (autism quotient) test and scored 38, average is 15, and 80% of people scoring over 30 are on the autism spectrum.

How could I tell my GP I think I might be on the spectrum? Will he take me seriously.

Jim

vicky23
15-06-12, 13:16
hmm this is a hard question I guess it depends a lot on your GP.
Some are really understanding and thorough but some are cynical.
I think the best course of action would be to just come right out and ask about it. Tell him/her your concerns, that's the only way you can do it really.
How was your cousin diagnosed? Perhaps to make your questions less random you could say you'd been spending time with your cousin and realised you have similar traits.
Hope it goes ok for you, Dr's are there to help I hope you get the support you need