PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely sick with ALS worry :(

chris9642
15-06-12, 17:57
ok just when I thought it wouldn't get worse from the aching arm I have now developed a strange heavy sensation in both forearms wrists and fingers .... it's like someone has tied a band round my fingers and it feels clumsy to hold things, write, type etc...... naturally DR google was my first point of call where I found countless stories of arm aches, clumsiness and reduced finger dexterity being the presenting symptoms of ALS .... I actually cried when I read some of the stories because i can only imagine having that and nothing else despite being only 30. Could this be tension related ???? I can't even eat with worry tonight :(

Chris

bottleblond
15-06-12, 18:15
Hi Chris

Excuse my ignorance but what is ALS?

Lisa

chris9642
15-06-12, 18:18
motor Neurons disease (or a type of) ..... I remember the happy days when I had never heard of it ... :(

nomorepanic
15-06-12, 18:18
Are you sure it isn't carpal tunnel syndrome or RSI or just tension?

There are loads of things it could be that are not ALS

chris9642
15-06-12, 18:23
would Carpel tunnel appear in both hands at same time .... my brain won't comprehend minor non life threatening complications .... only terminal rare diseases ha ha!!! I am more worked up about this than ever it's making me sick

bottleblond
15-06-12, 18:24
motor Neurons disease (or a type of) ..... I remember the happy days when I had never heard of it ... :(

Does that not tell you something huni?...If you were happier before you knew what ALS was then i'd say by finding out, you body is perhaps mimicing some of the symptoms. I used to suffer terrible health anxiety and i was forever looking up my symptoms. If i believed what i read then i should have been dead about 70 times by now. Lol

Being clumsy etc is kinda normal for anxiety sufferers. I think we are over thinking how we feel rather than concentrating on what we are doing which can lead to 'Butter fingers syndrome'. Please try not to panic but do confide in your gp as i'm sure he/she can reassure you.

Lisa
x

chris9642
15-06-12, 18:49
thanks Lisa for your reply .... it's so hard .... My mind bolts between MS and ALS and its driving me insane I feel constantly sick with worry ..... it's just weird my hands/forearms have gone like this on both hands in last few days .... the ALS presentation stories sound so similar :( ..... how did you manage to conquer your HA? x

bottleblond
15-06-12, 19:02
Chris....Don't contact the Google doctor again. One thing i refuse to do now is look up medical symptms. If you type something silly like sore toe nail into google it will hit you with the worst case scenario so it's a huge nono for anyone who suffers with HA.

I also spent alot of time reasoning with myself. One of my main worries was the 'C' word. I was convinced for years that i had it but the more i reasoned with myself, i realised that it would have been impossible to have it for all those years because i simply wouldn't be here to talk about it.

Try not to panic about how you feel. Anxiety has alot to answer for hun.

xx

chris9642
15-06-12, 19:09
i know i really tried not to google but i couldnt help it because i felt something had to be wrong - this feeling in hands/wrists is just really stressing me out and its quite hard to describe it - its not really weakness as such just feels really heavy and clumsy .... i keep closing my eyes and willing for it to go away :( xx im sure once i realise its not progressing further i will get over my fear as clearly ALS is fairly fast progressing -I will probably go straight back to MS at that point xx

bottleblond
15-06-12, 19:42
The anxiety will be fueling your symptoms too. It's a vicious circle. The more you think about how you feel, the more anxious you get and the more anxious you get, the worse you feel. :wacko:

livethelife
21-06-12, 23:15
i just read an article from dr. google on als because I think that I have it too. it did say that if you are under 40 it very very unlikely that that is what your symptoms are due to. als can happen to someone under 40 but the chances of it are quite low. take heart. you are young and it's likely not that.