PDA

View Full Version : desperate

tyra
13-07-06, 11:14
hi all its only me moaning again going on hol in a couple of weeks and my hands are awful they are achey and swollen as a few of you are aware im a serial hand washer ! does anyone know of any quick fixes or treatments i can have b4 taking my desperate hands away they are disgusting sore and look awful yet im still wahing em wot can i do when will i stop help pls ?:(

Obsessive
13-07-06, 11:18
Erm im not an expert on this sort of thing so i couldnt really tell you, i assume that if you wash your hands alot then they are dry, why not try vaseline or baby oil to moisten them? Im sorry probably not much help. xxxx

"Why does life turn you upside down and inside out then back round again"

strawberrie
13-07-06, 12:38
hi tyra, i am not a serial hand washer, but i do get very dry hands in the winter, and they crack and bleed.

i've not found anything that gets rid of it but when my hands are bad i put a thick layer of vaseline all over them before i go to bed, and then put plastic gloves on (like the type you get at the garage for filling up the car) so it doesnt rub off in the night. like i said, it doesnt completely heal them, but it does help.

also, it helps if you can moisturise your hands every time you wash them, i dont know if you would feel able to do that. even if you could use a moisturising soap this might help a little.

another suggestion is arnica tablets, they are homeopathic and were recommended to me for bruising, but i think they are supposed to help with healing sore tissues, might be worth a try?

sorry i cant be much more help,

take care,
mag

Southern_Belle
13-07-06, 14:57
Hi tyra,

I'm no expert on this either but have you considered wearing gloves so that you possibly don't feel like your hands are dirty so you won't wash them as much? I have no idea if this is why you wash them as much so please don't misunderstand me if I am off base here. I know this may be a compulsive thing but if they are covered it may help you to avoid it, at least maybe a bit. I would try to find a health food store (that is what they are called here) and find some creams there or possibly creams for eczema might help. I hope they get better. Good luck.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

tyra
14-07-06, 22:58
hey guys thanx for the advice i will try the vaseline and gloves as this will most likely help -ive tried all of the other suggestions - i just cant stop the washing and if i wear gloves i still wash my hands after i take them off imreally down at the mo - sorry but this hand washing has cost me my career which i loved sometimes i wish i could wake up and not be me - again apologies if ive depresed u all i feel better now ive had a moan
luv tyra

boobean
14-08-06, 20:06
hey hun,

I used to have this problem really badly as I used to be a terrible hand washer - and got scared about drying my hands too so used to go out in winter with soaking wet hands - not nice. I couldnt find any ways of getting rid of the sores or anything else although what other people have said may help. But....I now no longer wash. I had CBT and although I still get obsessive thoughts etc they're not half as bad and I have learnt to deal with them in different ways. My hands now look and feel so much better.

It does get better - I promise!

El x

tyra
07-09-06, 18:43
hey guys,
just got back from my hols nice to b back my hands r a little betta but still washing like mad i went for a assesment today to see if i can get psycologist support or cbt i dont no they say they will let me know but long waiting list lets see eh
luv tyra.

Lindalou64
07-09-06, 19:43
glad ya went tara and good luck with ya therapy im sure they can help you ...best to ya.........Linda[8D]