PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

JayDeee
16-06-12, 21:22
So I've not been able to get on here for a while but to sum up: I'm 19 years old now and have been suffering anxiety in many forms since 14. I have tried numerous therapy sessions but they didn't really work. 2 years ago I finished CBT for health anxiety and I now don't have many difficulties with health anxiety - I suppose this means CBT was a success? But only for my health anxiety. I still have anxiety, I still worry, panic and have all the symptoms, thoughts, feelings that come along with it. I have evidence that my anxiety is inherited as many family members have suffered in some forms including family members I have never met. Right now, I'm housebound and have been for some time, I can't go out as my anxiety is just too much to bare, my main worry at the moment (and has been for the past year or more I can't remember) revolves around the toilet as when I get anxious I need the toilet and so everytime I plan to go out, I need the toilet. I fear I will have an accident and panic when I'm not near a toilet. When I do pluck up enough courage to go out I clock every toilet upon arrival and spend every second feeling the need to use the toilet which results in my every moment spent in a panic attack. I have no life, no friends, no job, nothing, but I have so many dreams (university a main one). I've had anxiety for 5 years now and feel robbed of my teen years, I feel like I'm behind my peers, many people I know are living on their own, have babies, boyfriends, are engaged, have jobs, drive, I could go on.. this makes me feel so sad as I have none of this. I'm so scared my life and youth will be gone before I am able to be happy, acheive things and enjoy life. I really don't know where to turn anymore & have started to feel sort of numb to it all, I used to have a plan and now I just don't know where to go from here, I really, really don't I'm so alone even though my mum is so supportive. I just want to be happy. Please if anyone could help me or give some advise, even sucess stories, anything to help me I'm so lost. Thank you.

BobbyDog
16-06-12, 21:37
Many people your age are married or have babies, but the majority are still living at home with parent/parents. This is quite normal.

What about taking small steps to improve the quality of your life, take up a hobby that you can do indoors, reading, drawing, go for a walk with your Mum, even if it is only to the top of the street.

If you cannot manage going to college or university, what about doing an Open University Course? It would improve your self confidence.

I don't know if you have had CBT, but it would be worth asking your GP about it.

nantia
16-06-12, 22:14
Hello!!!! I am 19 too and I have been diagnosed with panic attacks and mild depression. I still haven't started my counseling but I definately know what it means to be scared of people and situations and having lost all teenage years. I feel the same although I am in a university right now. I managed to get here but I do very bad at the moment because of anxiety and some other stuff that come with it and I feel so much left behind as people around me have lives, enjoy themselves, have boyfriends etc. I kinda feel I am a failure comparing to what I was before. I have posted how everything happened and I can send you the link if you want to read it too~it's a long story.

What you need to do is start with small steps, one at a time and stop comparing yourself to other people as they are who they are and you are yourself, an individual unprecedented characted in the world. Try to work with your abilities, highlight what you can do, force yourself to find 5 things that are good about you every day and write them down. Keep diary, it can make you feel very relived by writing what you feel and think that you are only 19, you have realized what the problem is and you have the potential to solve it! So what if other people are living alone by now? You can do that in your own time. :)
As BobbyDog suggester, open university is a really nice thing to do! What are you interester in? What would you want to do? Just think about it and then think of ways to make it happen! Because I am sure you can. :)

Feel free to PM me anytime for any advice or anything you might want to say. :) Nice to meet you and I will be happy to see your dreams coming true.