PDA

View Full Version : Controlling blood sugar helped me overcome my anxiety and panic

Stevens
16-06-12, 23:58
Hi all,
I'd like to share my experiences and successes with you all on this forum.

I started with panic attacks and anxiety when I was 16 years old - I'm now 43 and the road to overcoming them has been somewhat random. For most of my teens anxiety and palpitations seemed to be the main issues and then in my 20's and thirties the anxiety abated but palpitations continued.

My symptoms were manageable, other than causing me occasional worries over my general health I did my best to ignore them until I hit 40 when things started to escalate.

I got up one morning and had my usual breakfast of cereal and grape juice and within minutes of eating I had serious palpitations and anxiety. I ran out into the garden and was convinced I was going to die there and then. I didn't - thank god! In fact what I'd experienced was my bodies now unstable reaction to sugar - more on this later.

For the following weeks and months I was on a roller coaster of panic attacks, adrenal sensations - especially in the morning - where I would feel jittery and then extremely washed out. Attacks would seemingly come out of the blue and leave me exhausted and full of worry. Sleep was very difficult and one of the worst symptoms was feeling remote and detached from reality.

My journey back to health came when I started to make changes to my diet. I slowly began to realise that sugar and refined carbohydrates were playing a key role in my attacks. As were other things such as caffeine, stress and late nights. I cut out sugar, including fruit, all white bread and switched to decaf drinks - I also avoided diet drink as I found my body reacted the same to these as sugar.

With a few weeks I was noticing fewer attacks, better sleep and a gradual return of my energy. Within a few months I was finally feeling healhy and anxiety free. I also saw a nutritionist who filled in the final pieces of the puzzle for me. Essentially my previous diet which was high in sugar, caffeine and carbohydrates as well as years of late nights had taxed my system so much that it simply had reached breaking point. Whilst my body tolerated this in my youth - in my 40's it was struggling to break all this down. She recommended I take vitamin B complex with magnesium with my diet and I found this to help enormously. The magnesium is a natural beta blocker and helps block adrenalin. The b vitamins support the adrenals also.

You may think that you don't have a terrible diet but it's surprising how much sugar and refined carbs we eat without not even realising it. I never ate sweets or fizzy drinks but there was lots of hidden sugar with my diet - concentrated fruit juices was one of them - as was alcohol and cereal. My espresso with breakfast was also a bad choice as drinking caffeine with a meal raises your blood sugar many times more. All these choices add up.

I'm now into my third year on this diet and I rarely have anxiety or attacks. If i do get an attack it's very mild and its always when I relax my diet and maybe have something I shouldn't. Another great thing is that my palpitations have gone away - after having these for so many years it convinced me that my bodies intolerance to sugar was causing them all along. I would urge anyone suffering panic attacks and ongoing anxiety to review their diet. It's the best thing I've done and have never looked back.

Some pointers...

Reduce caffeine, go decaf or better still cut it out
Switch to whole grain breads, oats and avoid potatoes and fruit
if you have carb, always try to eat some protein with it
Avoid fruit juices
Supplement your diet with b vitamin complex
Eat regularly - don't over eat and don't have caffienated drink with your meals

Also,
Don't stay up late, avoid stress and when you don't feel upto things - don't worry - REST!!

mandshere2000
17-06-12, 04:20
Hi
What a brilliant post, really has opened my eyes up
to this being what's causing my panic/anxiety and feelings of
unreality :unsure:
Would love a chat with you to talk in more detail about how to
adopt the same approach as you
yes it's 4.15am and this is how awful my sleep pattern is
would really value your advice on how to sort this also
Manda

Stevens
17-06-12, 09:41
Hi, feel free to ask. Anything i can do to help may help others here also. :D

Tish
17-06-12, 12:14
Excellent post and totally believable..
Trouble is - how do I give up sweet things and especially cakes?
Aaaargh!

Mountainclimber
17-06-12, 12:48
Not to sure about cutting out fruit, The whc recommends 5 a day, pears contain no sugar , certainly caffeine reduction will lower the heart rate. But look if it works for you all well and good, I swear by a daily dose of omega 3 with q10 and vitamin b supplement. Wishing you a great day and have fun:D

mandshere2000
17-06-12, 14:52
Hi Stevens
Could you tell me what your typical 3 meals a day
would be
I eat lots of fruit and don't really want to cut it all out,which are
the ones with the most sugar in would you say, my breakfast would
consist of apple, raspberries, pears kiwi fruit blueberries with bio yoghurt
and a few almond brazil nut walnuts on top or porridge with honey
Manda

Stevens
17-06-12, 17:47
Hi Manda,

Wow manda that's a lot of fruit for breakfast. Whilst conventionally that sounds healthy - and probably is to someone with no blood sugar problems - to me that would probably bomb me out after an hour or less. Morning is probably the worst time for me to load up on sugar - even in the form of fructose. The key to stablising your blood sugar is eating foods that release energy slowly.

My breakfast varies - I either have puffed oats (Rude Health ones have no added sugar and taste great) with flaked almonds, chopped hazlenuts, milk (or yoghurt) and a sprinkling of cinnamon (which helps your body metabolise sugar) - OR - eggs (any way you want them, except fried) with wholegrain toast.

Snacks consist of oatcakes and houmous or nuts such as walnuts (v.good, lots of magnesium) and occasionaly I'll have some homemade wholemeal scones with yoghurt and a cup of tea later in the day.

Evening meals are usually whatever I feel like, chicken with feta salad, beef stews with lots of green veg - but NO potatoes and no white pasta. Brown rice, bulghur wheat and brown pasta are OK but not too much and always with protein. Go crazy with herbs, vegetables, salads but be aware of dousing them in sweet dressings - oil, crushed garlic and red vinegar works for me.

IMPORTANT - if you suffer with anxiety atttacks in the morning (as I did) ensure you have a little something to eat before going to bed. I usually have a couple of slices of wholegrain toast with butter about an hour before going to bed. This really helps with the way I feel in the morning.

One more thing - cut out honey - it has a high GI (Glycemic Index) - try alternatives like agave syrup (if you must have a little sweetness) although this did'nt work for me it's supposed to have a lower GI. Also look at using a little frusiana which is a fructose sugar and has a really low GI. Everyone's tolerance is different so experimentation is probably needed.

I would recommend trying what your comfortable with but to be honest I found going the whole hog was the only way to beat my problems properly.

I would start taking B complex vitamins to support your diet as these really help - but not the ones from Boots or Tescos (there's nothing in them). Use BioCare's B Complex with Magnesium and take it in the morning before breakfast. A couple of drops of olive oil in water / or a fish oil capsule can also be good.

Oh yes, one last thing - I don't drink alcohol (v.bad) or soft drinks and fruit juice only breakfast tea/peppermint tea, decaf coffee or water with a slice of lemon.

Wishing you well!! :bighug1: