PDA

View Full Version : Operation Tuesday-so scared

lilypippin
17-06-12, 12:11
Hi everyone

As the title suggests, I am scheduled to undergo an operation on Tuesday and am ridiculously worried.

I've been having bleeding after sex on and off for a few months (though ironically not the last couple of times) and pain on urinating and bowel movement during menstruation, together with severe pain that takes my breath away.

Anyway, saw GP who ref to consultant who decided I should have a laparoscopy (I think looking for endometriosis) under general anaesthetic and whilst under, also do a colcoscopy to look into the bleeding after sex.

So my main concerns (I'll list them as there are a few!) are:

1) I'm currently on my period and have hardly had ANY pain this period. How ironic the week before the op. Should I cancel as unnecessary surgery is daft and dangerous.

2) General anaesthesia - never had it before. aaargh.
a)I have bad reflux - scared of aspirating when under
b)So he would intubate to prevent this...but I've had problems on and off swallowing this last couple years...what if he can't get the tube down cos there's some esopheagal tumour
c)What if I'm allergic to the anaesthesia used. Never had it before so I wouldn't know till it was too late

3)Then there's the risks of surgery
a)Puncturing major arteries when he puts the laparoscope in. It has happened occasionally and caused cardiac arrest and death in the patient.
b)Bowel/bladder etc injuries. Not so worried about this as long as it doesn't kill me
c)They fill your abdomen with CO2 so the surgeon can get a better look at your organs. There's a risk the surgeon can puncture arteries with the CO2 needle and cause a potentially fatal gas embolism

I really am not in the slightest bit concerned about any scars, pain, throwing up afterwards etc. I just don't want to die!!!

I asked my fiance if I should cancel and he said "only you know if the pain has been bad enough to warrant surgery" But that's the point. When you have health anxiety, you have a skewed perspective on how bad pain is, what it might indicate etc.

I'm rambling. I guess I'd just like some reassurance, and advice. Should I go ahead and accept the risks or cancel and hope there's nothing dodgy in there.
And am I being daft with the risks I'm going on about?

Thank you!

Jo

xx:unsure:

squeak
17-06-12, 12:24
I think if you cancel, you risk anticipating your next period worrying that the pain will be back, and you'll regret not having the investigation if in fact it does come back. But you have to balance the pros with the cons.

I think the most risky part of any op is the anaesthetic, and it's understandable to be apprehensive. All your vital signs would be monitored very carefully, any hint of a reaction etc would be identified and dealt with promptly. They are doing this day in day out, and remember that you are having a small investigative procedure (it may not feel like it to you!!) think of all the hundreds of ops done every day on really poorly people, particularly the elderly, where the risks are much greater yet there are still very few adverse events.

And although the intubation may leave you with a bit of a sore throat, theres really no other need to worry.

Just as an aside if you do end up wanting to cancel, the colposcopy part can still be done just as easily with you awake.

saab
17-06-12, 22:39
I would have it done. Otherwise your worries will continue. If you have the procedure you can put your mind at rest. I think you will only be lightly under as it 's not invasive like say major surgery, so I would think any risk from the ga will be significantly reduced.

sonoma
17-06-12, 22:56
I completely understand...been there, done that. I made the mistake of googling problems that can occur (and they are exactly as you stated). And I did cancel a minor procedure once because of the fears. Ended up having to have it done anyway, so may as well have just gotten it over with. In the end, all was fine. Your stomach will be empty beforehand, so you have little concern about aspirating. And once you see how many people are in the operating room watching over you, you will know you are in good hands. Your biggest concerns will be getting nauseated afterward (ask for meds beforehand), and you may have some discomfort as your body absorbs the excess CO2 in your system afterward. You will be glad you had it done to alleviate your concerns. It's always frightening when we aren't in control, I know. If you are a praying person, just put yourself in God's hands and ask that he gives the surgical team the skills and knowledge they need to take care of you. Then you will be given meds, and the next thing you know, someone will be waking you up!

Anxious_gal
17-06-12, 23:22
I've been put under a few times.

They'll either use an injection or a mask.
With the injection, your arm might feel cold n it takes seconds to go to sleep.
Then with the mask, I remember feel slightly like it was harder to breath, but by my 3rd breath I was out. I asked the nurse to hold my hand n that really helped me.

They will insert a breathing tube via your nose or throat.
Usually it's the throat.
So even if you had a reaction to the medicine the machine would keep you breathing!
Remember reactions are incredibly rare.

You won't vomit while your under, your tummy will be empty.
You may throw up afterwards. But it's likely to be more reaching as your tummy is empty.

You will feel anxious n feel like running away before hand.
BUT it's all over really fast.
Once you're on the table, the nurses will ask you questions, n they put the stickers n wires on your cheast, next thing you know you're waking up.

When I woke up I did feel anxious but I was surrounded by lovely nurses .
You will sleep on and off for an hour or even less.
You might have an oxygen mask on your face too but I didn't notice until they took it off.

I didn't like being naked under that gown but I had my clothes right beside my bed and a dressing gown. So I mustered the energy when I first woke up to put on my dressing gown :)
You'll also be covered too by the blankets.

My legs did feel a bit weak/unsteady for a while afterwards.
Sometimes you'll sleep when again when you're home
If they give you pain meds they usually help relax you too .
You may wake up with nose or throat pain.
Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds if you think you need them.

Honestly I hate getting put to sleep.
But I've been under a few times now and the worst part was the anticipation anxiety.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

They usually do tests, blood work and things before hand to make sure you're well enough for surgery :)

debbsi
18-06-12, 08:18
Hi
I had surgery under general anaesthetic on friday to remove a fibroadeoma from my breast - I was really scared before I went, worrying about things that could go wrong etc etc

However the nurses, surgeon, anaesthetist where lovely, they all made me feel calm and I was only second on the list as they knew I was anxious.

When they took me to theatre they asked me loads of questions about did I ever get indegestion or snore! They put the cannula in my hand, which didnt hurt, they attached me to the monitor and then injected something into the cannula - he said it wouldnt send me to sleep yet but make me feel like I'd had a few vodkas! It did I felt a bit dizzy and I asked if I could lie down. Then he injected something else into it which stung, next thing I knew I was being woken by a nurse and I had she put an oxygen mask on me, I felt drowsy but soon came too - 2 hours later I was going home.

Such a postive experience - if I ever have to have surgery again I wont be in the slightest bit worried.

Take care - you'll be fine xx

lilypippin
18-06-12, 12:15
Thank you so much everyone. Sometimes I think the hardest part is the waiting. And it doesn't help googling about complications/risks! I hate Dr Google!

x

miggymoggy
18-06-12, 20:54
Hiya. As an endometriosis sufferer, I have had loads of laparoscopies. No problems ever. Not even one major one when they had to peel endometriosis away from my bowel. Obvious danger of piercing bowel but sooooo unlikely! Honestly, it's really nothing. they do them all the time.
Anaethestic - I was terrified first time, now I have had so many, it doesn't even faze me! You don't really get time to think about it, you go into the anaesthetics room, and within about a minute you're asleep!
When I first had an anaesthetic I was terrified so they gave me a tranquilliser first, so when I got to the anaesthetics rooms, I was away with the fairies anyway!
If you do get diagnosed with endo and want any advice, just shout!
xxxxx

sonoma
19-06-12, 06:28
Praying you were able to be calm before your surgery and that all goes well. Post so we know how things went for you, ok!

lilypippin
19-06-12, 09:39
Am just at home pacing at the moment as I'm on the afternoon list so got to be there at 11.30.

Thank you everyone for your kind words/advice!

Am def going to ask for a pre med to calm me beforehand.

x

lilypippin
20-06-12, 10:46
Hi again everyone,
I waited all day for my op, was stupidly anxious, then at 5pm they told me they had to postpone as one of the anaesthetists were off sick so they didn't have time to finish the list (I was last on the list) so now got to wait for new appt.
x

sonoma
21-06-12, 02:31
Sorry to hear they had to postpone. DId they schedule again soon? Hope the wait isn't too long for you...but hopefully you were able to get all your concerns addressed here so the stress won't be so rough. Let us know when it's rescheduled.

CameronG
21-06-12, 03:19
Hi jo, my parter has had similar operations twice now, 1st was due to an ectopic pregnancy (baby grows in tube) she also had her tube removed.....

Then yesterday she had the same op your having so they could investigate her remaining tube due to problems falling pregnant, she's absolutey fine just as you will be love, she's obviously got slight discomfort off where they entered plus the co2 causes bad wind, but all in all she is fine....

Have some faith in the medical professionals :-)

Xxx

lilypippin
21-06-12, 11:54
Thanks for your reassurances and glad your partner is doing well.

Just got to wait for them to reschedule now!

x