PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Head

DaveDaves
17-06-12, 18:55
Hello there

This is my first post here. I decided to give it a try posting here. I'm not very open with my problems, I choose to be quite reclusive on purpose.

The problem is for a very long time, since I left school about 4 years ago, I have had a cloudy head and my concentration and intelligence have to me noticeable decreased. Whereas I was the top of my class, I am now an average grape.

I've tried to talk to the doctor about this, but he doesn't take me seriously. Just said to change my diet and do more exercise. The thing is I already do more than the average person with with MMA and Rugby and my diet, besides the weekend takeaway and a night out is pretty sound.

In more depth about this cloudiness I have in my head, before it I can remember the days when I was open minded and had no problem with tests and revising. Nowadays I have headaches almost everyday and I can feel the cloud in my head. Whenever I'm trying to learn something all I can feel is this cloud, non stop and it puts me down. I feel I get depressed just thinking about it and I get worried that I won't achieve my goals because of it.

I hoping there is a simply solution, but I very much doubt it.

Dave,

PanchoGoz
17-06-12, 19:10
Fascinating problem - what brings you to an anxiety forum? Do you have anxiety issues alongside?
Things that could be causing this:
Deficiency - magnesium, VitB6 etc.
Overwhelming Problem - Something is draining your mental capacity - its might be using up every ounce of thinking power you have and real life seems a chore.
General anxiety - this is a symptom of anxiety.

It's interesting you liken it to a cloud. Maybe you can explore it further in meditation? Concentrate on the feeling, look into it, analyze what it's cause or meaning is.
I'm sre you will find out why it is there.

eight days a week
17-06-12, 19:15
Sorry to hear about that Dave.

I've had that for years too, also many memory problems. I also gets 'clouds' or 'smokey' effects in my vision.

Do you take medication? I think mine is partly down to anxiety and derealisation but largely due to some of the medication I take (diazepam - which at the small dose I take most don't seem to have a problem with, but it really messes with my head) and another one similar to pregabalin.

I am considering buying some piracetam to try - an interesting medicine, take a look at it. I have not yet been able to work out (I haven't seriously researched yet to be honest) if it's legal to buy within the UK. There's ate least one listing on amazon uk but it's 'unavailable' right now. It's a prescription medicine here (not a 'scheduled' - i.e. restricted/illegal one to import then, perhaps - do your own research there!) but as per usual with anything that seems useful my GP and psychiatrist don't know anything about it.

Good luck mate :)

DaveDaves
17-06-12, 20:26
Fascinating problem - what brings you to an anxiety forum? Do you have anxiety issues alongside?
Things that could be causing this:
Deficiency - magnesium, VitB6 etc.
Overwhelming Problem - Something is draining your mental capacity - its might be using up every ounce of thinking power you have and real life seems a chore.
General anxiety - this is a symptom of anxiety.

It's interesting you liken it to a cloud. Maybe you can explore it further in meditation? Concentrate on the feeling, look into it, analyze what it's cause or meaning is.
I'm sre you will find out why it is there.

The sub forum seemed appropriate to my problem.

Meditation is a strange suggestion, but I just want my mind back. I'm open to all suggestions. I will talk to my GP again but I'll doubt he will take me seriously.

Regarding your point to an "Overwhelming Problem". Its a bit hard to say, as I find the cloudiness to be the biggest problem in my life right now, so I tend to dwell on that issue the most.

Sorry to hear about that Dave.

I've had that for years too, also many memory problems. I also gets 'clouds' or 'smokey' effects in my vision.

Do you take medication? I think mine is partly down to anxiety and derealisation but largely due to some of the medication I take (diazepam - which at the small dose I take most don't seem to have a problem with, but it really messes with my head) and another one similar to pregabalin.

I am considering buying some piracetam to try - an interesting medicine, take a look at it. I have not yet been able to work out (I haven't seriously researched yet to be honest) if it's legal to buy within the UK. There's ate least one listing on amazon uk but it's 'unavailable' right now. It's a prescription medicine here (not a 'scheduled' - i.e. restricted/illegal one to import then, perhaps - do your own research there!) but as per usual with anything that seems useful my GP and psychiatrist don't know anything about it.

Good luck mate :)

I don't take any medication at the moment. I have a firm belief that such medication has a large impact on the individual mind in the long run and can cause all sorts of new problems. My GP said he would book an appointment with the shrink but that was a couple of months ago and I haven't heard back from him. I tend to hold these things off as I hate talking to people about my problems.

Dave,

eight days a week
17-06-12, 20:59
The sub forum seemed appropriate to my problem.

Meditation is a strange suggestion, but I just want my mind back. I'm open to all suggestions. I will talk to my GP again but I'll doubt he will take me seriously.

Regarding your point to an "Overwhelming Problem". Its a bit hard to say, as I find the cloudiness to be the biggest problem in my life right now, so I tend to dwell on that issue the most.

I don't take any medication at the moment. I have a firm belief that such medication has a large impact on the individual mind in the long run and can cause all sorts of new problems. My GP said he would book an appointment with the shrink but that was a couple of months ago and I haven't heard back from him. I tend to hold these things off as I hate talking to people about my problems.

Dave,

I completely understand Dave - I did the same until three or four years ago (I'm now 36). Intensely private, refusing to be honest (or perhaps it's kinder to say 'open up' because I think for sensitive and private people it's a very hard thing to do) with my GP (or people in general) until then. I personally found (looking back) it compounded my problems, and now I'm looking to be more open with people about stuff (e.g. my anxiety, my feelings - which I always denied, held in, or belittled - none of which I think are 'healthy' once it starts to affect you).

Sorry, I am not sure that that is helpful for you. I believe it's the way forward for me right now, but I haven't reached any major breakthrough yet, so really who am I to say? Moving in that direction though over the last six months (by no means easy) seems to have done me a fair bit of good emotionally.

If you're not taking meds then maybe you have anxiety with associated derealisation around studying? I had it myself just with my BA, twenty years ago, so wouldn't be surprised.

Is your sleep affected? In my experience that can be a major cause for cognitive impairment (for me it is absolutely crippling at times).

I'm not sure piracetam is really a 'med', it strikes me as more of a supplement (despite how it is classified in the UK - my GP and psychiatrist both regard it more or less as such, but then I have very little faith in them) so I suppose it depends if you are against those per se. Anyway, perhaps have a look at it?

DaveDaves
18-06-12, 04:48
I completely understand Dave - I did the same until three or four years ago (I'm now 36). Intensely private, refusing to be honest (or perhaps it's kinder to say 'open up' because I think for sensitive and private people it's a very hard thing to do) with my GP (or people in general) until then. I personally found (looking back) it compounded my problems, and now I'm looking to be more open with people about stuff (e.g. my anxiety, my feelings - which I always denied, held in, or belittled - none of which I think are 'healthy' once it starts to affect you).

Sorry, I am not sure that that is helpful for you. I believe it's the way forward for me right now, but I haven't reached any major breakthrough yet, so really who am I to say? Moving in that direction though over the last six months (by no means easy) seems to have done me a fair bit of good emotionally.

If you're not taking meds then maybe you have anxiety with associated derealisation around studying? I had it myself just with my BA, twenty years ago, so wouldn't be surprised.

Is your sleep affected? In my experience that can be a major cause for cognitive impairment (for me it is absolutely crippling at times).

I'm not sure piracetam is really a 'med', it strikes me as more of a supplement (despite how it is classified in the UK - my GP and psychiatrist both regard it more or less as such, but then I have very little faith in them) so I suppose it depends if you are against those per se. Anyway, perhaps have a look at it?

Thanks for your reply Eight days a week. It sounds more and more likely that I need to talk to a psychiatrist.

My sleep is affected at the moment yes. I tend to have very long nights where I can't sleep and where I wake up very early. I will on good nights sleep 4-5 hours, but mostly on and off. I consider my sleep deprivation to be another problem that maybe adds to the cloudiness but its only a recent thing, maybe 6 months at most. My cloudiness has started since I left school.

I will make an appointment today or change my GP.

mrmj
18-06-12, 23:18
I feel like this too. I think it's because we dwell on it that it persists. Bit of a catch 22 since it is such a horrible feeling!!! Seems to be a very common type of symptom though with a lot of posts relating to it on this forum!

DaveDaves
28-06-12, 20:04
Yesterday I saw my GP who made a fast track appointment for a blood test I took today.

He is looking for deficiencies.

m.elise
28-06-12, 21:30
I was going to suggest maybe looking for a new GP if yours wasn't taking you seriously. I also want to encourage you to be open to talking with people (who are trustworthy) about your problems. I've been brought up to stuff things deep down inside and I know from experience that doing so can lead to big explosions and end in worse results. Something to think about. It's good that you're getting blood work done so you can start narrowing things down. Keep up the good work Daves. :)