PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks turned to alcohol

Richard1960
18-06-12, 00:12
Hi,i have just come out of hospital after a detox after collapsing at work for an hour i suffer from panic attacks and was bingeing on alcohol to help,even though my doctor has prescribed Citalopram which seemed to be working ok,i can go a couple of weeks without a drink and then i have a couple that sets me off.

I am also on diazapam as well as lots of hospital medicines with high vitamin B complexes,i am sweating and feeling terrible,i feel the hospital detox was a good second chance,and my doctor has ordred a CT scan for tomorrow morning hospital doctor that is as i had a fit.

I feel a right failure at the mo.:weep::weep:

Lousicle
18-06-12, 01:21
Hello :hugs:
U shouldn't feel like a failure , a lot of us get kicked back down after we get so far , it's frustrating I know , been there myself , but everyone on the forum will be here to help & support u.
Hmm , would u say u rely on alcohol? If u have gne without for a while I would lay off (as tempting as it is) because I've felt so much better after a drink when panicking (until next morning :roflmao:)
But seriously try asking your doctor if u can up the dose of citalopram maybe? What dose u on now?
Diazepam is a good 1 for anxiety/panic aswel I have found , & the vitamin B , well I'm not quite sure why they've given u that , but can't hurt right ! Is it called thiamine or something similar? I got given that when I was dehydrated mayb that was because of the alcohol?

Sorry I'm not very experienced in this kinda thing the only thing I can really relate to is the panic attacks.
Have u considered therapy? CBT is very good for panic.

Just stay away from the booze for a while & see about meds being upped in dose.
:) sorry couldn't help more but am always here to chat if u need to :)

Richard1960
18-06-12, 01:33
Hi thanks very much for your kind words,i am on thiamine 100mg 4 times a day,strong vitamin b compound drugs,after my detox they gave me those to reverse some of the damage caused by binge drinking whilst i was in they gave me around 9 tabs a day plus injections in my stomach in case my blood clotted.collapsing at work was the worse bit being sparko for an hour or so and not remembering a thing.

Yes i think i will ask about upping my Citalopram as that did seem to help,and the diazapam is also helping,my problem is when i an anxious/panic i have a couple of drinks and cannot stop,thanks for your very kind offer of a chat you have been lovely to relply as i cannot sleep tonight as all the drugs made me sleep earlier kind regards Richard .x:bighug1:

Lousicle
18-06-12, 02:46
Yeahh I can see how the thiamine would help you , gives u energy & vitamins that u would of lost during the hour u were collapsed.
Oh wow , injections aswel :/ hope u don't take this the wrong way but u must of been in quite a state :( how awful for u I really do sympathise.
Its the panic attacks though , they can drive us to do crazy things .. I'd do almost anything to prevent them.

Yes deffo see doc about your meds .. How much diazepam do u take if u don't mind me asking?
Hmm , maybe stop buying the alcohol so that the option isn't there for u? Hangovers have been known to be the cause of panic attacks sometimes u know ..
Try an alternate route , if you are feeling panicky sit down & eat something. If u can that is , failing that listen to some music , walk around your house , go for a run , even just watch the tv , anything to get your mind off the panic and focused of something else other than drinking.
Or maybe u have a friend/relative u could chat to on the phone for a while if u feel anxious .. U don't have to tell them ure feeling anxious just try to get stuck in to a deep convo about something interesting.
If u can't sleep , why not take a hot bath , then jump on the sofa with a blanket & watch some tv (guaranteed you'll fall asleep sooner or later :P)
I'm having a late one tonight too , probably should of gone to sleep by now but never mind. Lol :)
Please tell me if those ideas are rubbish , just a few things Ive been advised & tried.
Some work better than others but it is personal choice , they all may work well for u or not at all , worth a shot thought right :)

Richard1960
18-06-12, 03:06
Hi Lousicle.
I have now been referred on to my local ADAS alcohol and drugs advisory service who came in and chatted whilst i was in hospital,they mentioned upping my Citalopram,i am on 20mg of diazapam a day,as well as the citalopram.

Your ideas sound good to me and now i have had the detox i am determined to make a break from alcohol,they just need to get my citalopram sorted,yes it was no fun in hospital i blacked out at work and did not come around for an hour in an ambulance yes i was in a state i had short term memory loss as well,i still cannot remeber blacking out or even why they found me where they did.

I do go for walks to help me relax and hot baths do help,but ever since i was young i have suffered from aniety related disorders i tried blotting out with the alcohol,not every week i could go a week or two then i binge.

I have to go for a CT scan this morning at 8.30am as the consultant ordered it,its hard though to talk about it as most people including my family do not really understand its something i feel i have to deal with.

Managers at work came to visit but the doctors would not tell them anything although they were concerened but whoever wants to tell your managers you have addictive problems,for anxiety issues its hard enough to find a doctor who undertsands sometimes.Richard.:)

Bramwell
18-06-12, 04:11
R1960 - I had stopped drinking for over a decade, and then, with alcohol the only drug available to combat my searing anxiety, I foolishly began again. With Prozac I've been dry for over a month, and I have no intention of going back into the bottle again. Good luck.

Richard1960
18-06-12, 04:35
Hi Bosher.
Thanks for your kind words of support this time i am determined the detox i got in hospital i was very grateful for and i am sure i can get the citalopram sorted out before i went off the rails it seemed to be working,glad to hear you are now off the booze again mate hope it all goes well for you too.:)

Lousicle
18-06-12, 14:07
So glad you're thinking positive & getting help!
They will up the citalopram for u if u ask so shouldn't have no problems there , they will prob tell u to take 40mg a day & see how it goes for few weeks then look at maybe upping it again if no joy.
Try to take the diazepam only if u feel anxious , taking it as a preventative method can cause worse anxiety sometimes .. So maybe try taking the Diaz when u are tempted to go to the bottle instead?
All the best! & good luck , u will have 2 let me know how u progress :)

bluesparkle
18-06-12, 14:46
hello
well there is no way you are a failure thats for sure...
you are determined not to go back to the drink and that is so posative.
anixiety and panic are hard to live with but it does get better i promise you.
please let us know how the scan went.
people here will always listen and understand you are not alone.
rach
x

BobbyDog
18-06-12, 21:59
Don't feel like a faliure, I have been in that situation, I used to black out with no memory a few times a week, had the fits aswell, got locked in a cell for the night, three court dates.

I have been dry for 9 years now, anxiety and lack of self confidence were my main reasons for drinking alcohol.

At first it is really hard, you have to change your whole way of life, but you seem like a strong and determined character and I am sure you will succeed.

I did it without the help of medical intervention, which I know now is dangerous, your doctor is obviously doing a good job.

Stick at it!!!!

Well done!!!!!

nathan22
19-06-12, 09:41
Those with Panic-Anxiety Disorder often turn to alcohol or drugs as a way of calming themselves down so that as an effort to numb the fear they're experiencing. Drug abuse becomes a getaway of sorts for these individuals, who quickly move from one medical problem to a dual diagnosis. Obviously, with time these substances only actually result in the anxiety worse and also the anxiety attacks more widespread.

Richard1960
20-06-12, 12:27
Thanks everybody i went to my GP who has upped my Citalopram and also advised to stay on Diazapam whilst everything kicks in and to stop the need for alcohol whilst the Increased dose of Citalopram is taking effect,also i went or my CT scan and the Hospital said they will report on it and send the results to my GP hopfully they will be okay.

Must admit do feel out of it a bit at the mo,ADAS have been in touch and will offer confidential counselling to me (alcohol drugs and advisory serivce) I could go through my workplace for counselling but am reluctant to for fear of what they might have access to and i feel i can kick the need for alcohol,which was on target until i had my relapse.

This is why this forum has been helpful i do not come accross anybody in my life who seems to have these sorts of issues and they seem to cope,also its very hard even today for a man to admit panic attacks,hey guys thanks for all your very supportive postings i am very grateful for all the support.Richard.:)

Fozzyd
20-06-12, 13:05
Hi Everyone this topic really hits home as I have also at times turned to drink for 'help', I seem to have cycles of being able to cope and then hit the bottom of the dreaded valley!!

arsenalfun
25-06-12, 09:31
alcohol and anxiety are bad combination, I'd rather avoid it.

plotlost
28-06-12, 01:13
Same here, I cant remember the last time I didnt have a drink. I drink every evening to wind down, as it seems to be the only time I actually feel remotely happy or relaxed.

I was prescribed Diaz in january, great at 1st but they quickly became ineffective, and actually I started to think they made me even more anxious.

Obviously drinking is not the way forward but it certainly gives that quick fix.....until we wake up the next day and start all over again

TxButterfly
28-06-12, 01:41
I have been there, done that~ its called self medicating... I am so happy that you are getting help!!! I am on celexa too (for 5 years) and I have also tried almost every other ssri/snri out there. I am now on wellbutrin AND celexa... maybe ask about wellbutrin (a small dose as it can provoke panic) after you go through detox.. maybe it could help you feel a little better about things ;)

I turned to alcohol at age 19 b/c my parents did not ever understand (and still really don't). I have alternated between that, over-eating, and not eating enough for years until I got on celexa. Keep your head up. This too shall pass.

PS.. I do not drink as of the last 4 years (maybe 1 drink every 6 months...)

XOXO
TB