PDA

View Full Version : would you go to the doctors over this?

Hypo
18-06-12, 07:59
I don't want them to kick me out if I keep going for reasons that I shouldn't.

Four weeks ago I found a yellow bruise on my arm.. I have no idea how I did it.

Two weeks ago I found another unexplained one of my leg.

Last week I found one on my thigh.

Today I have a new one on my calf.

They are yellow, not painful but I have no idea how I got them. NO bigger than a 5p. Basically when one goes away another comes in but I haven't had more than two at any one time so far.

My husband thinks I'm worrying for nothing as usual because lots of big painful bruises are what I should worry about... getting one at a time isn't a big deal.

What do you think?

squeak
18-06-12, 08:15
I try and think of somebody who doesn't have HA and wonder what they would do. Most people wouldn't even notice small yellow bruises. You're right that bruising to be worried about is unmistakable even to somebody not suffering HA, bruises would be large, purple, sore and not explainable through simple knocks.

But whilst I don't think you have anything to worry about in the slightest, if your mind won't rest until you hear it from your doctor then make an appointment. GP's should never be angry for people attending with fears that are genuine, even if that fear is irrational.

Hypo
18-06-12, 08:25
Thank you.

I have an appointment on the 26th this month to up my meds so I could mention it then. Although It might be an idea to get one at the end of the month and ask for a double appointment so I can discuss a few things.

Hopefully it will wait that long. I could always ask the chemist as well I guess because I did start antibiotics recently for acne.

Thank you. My DH said he wouldn't worry and I think he would tell me if I needed to go in.

justina
18-06-12, 08:29
It doesn't sound like you need to worry at all.

Big dark blue bruises in "strange" places where you usually don't get bruises, that is when you should see a doctor!

anxietyoverload
18-06-12, 11:05
Hi!

Im ALWAYS finding bruises and i genuinly dont have any idea where they came from! sometimes they hurt to touch, sometimes they dont!

more often than not they are yellow, so it was only probably a knock that you wouldnt think twice about when it actually happened. if i ever have a dark purple bruise i an guarantee i remember how i got that one! lol x

Hypo
18-06-12, 13:41
Thank you guys so much.

My HA had got LOTS better but the last few days has seen me being scared of everything.

I got my smear test results back which were normal and I thought I could put this all behind me, but then I stood up and felt dizzy so thought I had something wrong. Then I found another bruise then a new mole on my face which the chemist says is fine.

I just feel like the world is so scary and unpredictable and I can't control anything.

skyisblue
18-06-12, 13:45
I think the fact that it disappears on and off in different parts of your body is a heads up for you to not worry. I head that bruises that don't disappear are more concerning. :)

It's good you are going to the doctor. I bet it's nothing serious!

Hypo
21-06-12, 21:37
Thank you.

I asked the pharmacist and she said it was fine.

But I just found another one :(

eight days a week
21-06-12, 21:41
I'm sure it's ok but I'd mention it to the doctor when you see them anyway - it'll only take a minute and you keep on getting them :)

Are you on any meds that make bruising more likely?

Hypo
21-06-12, 23:03
Prozac and antibiotics for acne but that is it :)

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Im going to die aren't I?

Anxious_gal
21-06-12, 23:34
Well we all will die at some point :)
Honestly a few small bruises is nothing to worry about.
Most of us will get bruises n have no idea how we got them.
As you get older too you're more likely to bruise.

eight days a week
21-06-12, 23:49
Prozac and antibiotics for acne but that is it :)

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Im going to die aren't I?

I promise you are not going to die from this!!

Do those meds make it easier for you to get bruises? Some medicines do, I don't know which ones though (I'm sure there are many). SSRIs made me uncoordinated and more likely to get small knocks etc.

But if it's a concern just mention it to your doc :)

Well we all will die at some point :)

Not me! I have a Walt Disney style plan! See you in three thousand years!!:roflmao:

Hypo
22-06-12, 12:18
I got another small one today. Very small.

And its my birthday :( Probably my last one by the looks of it. Doctors on Tuesday. Can it wait that long?

Magic
22-06-12, 15:44
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HIPPOXX.
Yes, you can wait that long. Let us know how you get on:)

m.elise
22-06-12, 15:55
For me I tend to bruise more easily when I'm having a hard time mainly because I stop eating healthy...or at all. Do you think that could be the same for you? Plus I've come to realize I'm a bit clumsier than I every thought. :)

Hypo
22-06-12, 16:19
I am eating fine. I did lose 5 stone last year (on purpose) so I wonder if perhaps thinner people bruise more easily? I can also see my veins in my legs as well.

I don't want to die yet :( what if I wake up tomorrow to even more bruises?

Munchlet
22-06-12, 17:32
Hi Hypo

Firstly Happy Birthday :yesyes:

I can completely relate to your post, many years ago I went to the doctor for exactly this reason.

I kept finding little bruises, usually yellow and I could never remember how I got them, so needless to say I was convinced it was something serious.

Anyway when I went in my doctors first words were " have you been speaking to my last patient", he then apologised and said "sorry I shouldn't have said that", so obviously the patient before me had gone in with a similar problem.

But the outcome was he said that small bruises like I had and there were about 7 at the time were absolutely nothing to worry about.

He said large bruises about the size of the bottom of a mug, dark blue/purple appearing with no explanation and in strange places are ones to worry about. Apparently my normal sized, yellowish and pale blue ones weren't.

So honestly don't worry about this one, I have been where you are obsessed for ages about it, checking myself every few hours for new bruises and that must have been a good 12 years ago now.

So I guess my doctor was right on that one, even though I didn't believe him at the time.:D

southey
22-06-12, 17:38
Not me! I have a Walt Disney style plan! See you in three thousand years!!:roflmao:

The frozen food isle in Tescos does not count as cryogenics so no hiding under the frozen peas when the time comes:roflmao:I know your game:winks:

Steve.

Hypo
22-06-12, 20:52
Hi Hypo

Firstly Happy Birthday :yesyes:

I can completely relate to your post, many years ago I went to the doctor for exactly this reason.

I kept finding little bruises, usually yellow and I could never remember how I got them, so needless to say I was convinced it was something serious.

Anyway when I went in my doctors first words were " have you been speaking to my last patient", he then apologised and said "sorry I shouldn't have said that", so obviously the patient before me had gone in with a similar problem.

But the outcome was he said that small bruises like I had and there were about 7 at the time were absolutely nothing to worry about.

He said large bruises about the size of the bottom of a mug, dark blue/purple appearing with no explanation and in strange places are ones to worry about. Apparently my normal sized, yellowish and pale blue ones weren't.

So honestly don't worry about this one, I have been where you are obsessed for ages about it, checking myself every few hours for new bruises and that must have been a good 12 years ago now.

So I guess my doctor was right on that one, even though I didn't believe him at the time.:D

Thank you for this :)

It has helped me some. So I'm looking for huge dark purple bruises. When I googled it which is what started my fear off, it said go to the GP if you get bruises but it never said what kind of bruises.

MazF
22-06-12, 22:25
Hi, i think i read you were taking Prozac? That's an SSRI, they can increase bleeding time and therefore bruises can show up more frequently for minor knocks than if you weren't taking them. It's not serious, i take sertraline and have noticed a bit more bruising than normal. It's a recognised side effect of this class of drugs. Please try not to worry.

cassy1989
22-06-12, 22:48
Hi,
As you are worried then I would go just for peace of mind.
I'm sure it is just the health anxiety. I'm always getting so many bruises and I can't remember how I got them but its probably from me walking into things at work as I tend to lol.
If it wasn't for the health anxiety you probably wouldn't even notice them.
Basically if you look for some thing on your body you will find it! xx

eight days a week
03-07-12, 18:02
The frozen food isle in Tescos does not count as cryogenics so no hiding under the frozen peas when the time comes:roflmao:I know your game:winks:

Steve.

I was doing so well too (hid from Thursday morning until Saturday night) but they caught me when I nipped out for some ice cream :whistles: :roflmao: