PDA

View Full Version : Coming to a bookstore near you... artist required

NoPoet
18-06-12, 22:02
Hi all, after the success of the Citalopram Survival Guide I now have interest from publishers about writing a series of self-help books. Unfortunately, the asking price for these books could be quite high in order to pay the dozen or so middlemen involved, so I am thinking of going solo and publishing the books myself, maybe starting with Amazon Kindle and going from there if there is sufficient interest, unless I can find a publisher who would "suggest" less than £10 per book for the finished product.

I am still in negotiations, but since I am definitely going ahead with this one way or another, at this point I am wondering if anyone with a talent for art wants to submit some of their work for a one-off payment.

Because the art would be going into a commercial product and I have no way of judging how many (if any) of these books are going to sell, I cannot offer royalties per book sale or per use of the artwork. I would be offering a single one-off payment in return for any image(s) along with full and exclusive rights to use the image(s). This means that while you would be clearly acknowledged as the artist, any artwork that is paid for by me would belong to me in full. You will need to agree to a legal disclaimer to this effect; sorry, but talking with the legal vultures of a certain country has left me keen to cover my back!

In case anyone is interested, I have three books planned. Certain people - including the owner and possibly moderators of NMP along with other highly recognised help sites and organisations - would receive complimentary full copies of the finished products, while I was planning (and this is where the legal people get upset) on releasing a free "Shareware" version of each book to anyone who wants it, each of which contain the first few chapters in their entirety.

In other news, I am working on a top-secret submission to "id Software" to tie in with the release of Doom 4... but nothing is confirmed yet, so I never said anything.

hanshan
19-06-12, 13:54
Hi PsychoPoet,

Most publishers don't charge their authors to publish a book. They take the risk, and also their share of any profit from the sale of the book. They usually have a well-established distribution network.

Publishers who charge their authors aren't really publishers at all, since they spend as little as possible on distributing the books when printed. If you want to pay to have a book printed, you are better to approach a printer and bookbinder directly - it will likely be much less expensive.

Hawthorn
19-06-12, 16:24
Hey psychopoet

What kind of art work would you be looking for?

I posted some bits I'd been doing lately http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116792

What you propose, if you like my work would be fine with me.

KK77
19-06-12, 17:09
Well....after lots of thought I have decided to let you use my artwork (Royalties to the Complaints Dept Ltd (care of MM/BB/Lil)) :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RAPTS9vZKKw/TZB8Zf7HSpI/AAAAAAAAEmA/5uSAjc4xfsc/s1600/the-scream.jpg

NoPoet
19-06-12, 19:46
Hi, thanks the replies.

Hanshan - I meant the cost to the customer for the finished product, not the cost to me. :)

Hawthorn - thanks, I might be in touch shortly :) P.S. That first picture looks exactly like my ex! Did you know her? ;)

Mel - I might not write the books, I might just use that picture instead as it tells the whole story in less time :D

suzy-sue
19-06-12, 21:19
Well....after lots of thought I have decided to let you use my artwork (Royalties to the Complaints Dept Ltd (care of MM/BB/Lil)) :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RAPTS9vZKKw/TZB8Zf7HSpI/AAAAAAAAEmA/5uSAjc4xfsc/s1600/the-scream.jpg

Hahahahaha //Nice one ....:roflmao:..Lil ..

jimcassbell
19-06-12, 23:26
cool

NoPoet
29-06-12, 15:14
Hi, long time no update. My CBT sessions have improved parts of me that I never considered. I've submitted four short stories to a publishing house: Abandoned, They Will Repent, Unholy Cathedral and Blood from a Broken Heart (originally I was going to submit just Abandoned and Blood from a Broken Heart). I managed to get all four stories into a publishable state within just two weeks but there are no guarantees they will get printed.

On the other hand, my work rate has massively improved, so I could probably whip up two full self-help books within a couple of months at this rate, including the time it takes to organise art, formatting and negotiating with potential publishers.

Stand by on that art request Hanshan, I don't know when it will come but it shouldn't be too far off.

suzy-sue
29-06-12, 16:05
:ohmy:..Goodluck.P/P...What are the books about?....

I think you mean Hawthorn....not Hashan....btw.

NoPoet
05-08-12, 14:50
Hi all, well the first steps are taken; Anxiety UK may be running an article in their December issue about blips which is inspired by stuff in the Cit Survival Guide along with new research and experience which are not included in the Guide.

We'll see what turn it takes from here.