PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble taking that first step

LadyAnne
19-06-12, 02:38
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get back into driving and I've practiced with my parents and they see nothing unsafe about my driving, but as soon as I am alone, I am convinced I'm going to do drive off the road or put someone's life in danger or simply have a panic attack. How can I just push myself to get out there and even go down the road a mile? I think about it every morning but just can't quite "get there." Any suggestions about taking that first step? Thanks

waunder
19-06-12, 02:50
Slowly. Drive within sight of your house. Have some one follow you. Have a cell phone ready. I have an I -POD and CD with someone talking about what to do if you are having a panic attack. It has helped me tremendously. Lots of ideas on here but the worse thing you can do is let the fear defeat you. Even if you have to drive around the neighbor hood keep driving. You will not die from a panic attack per and if you start of slow you you end every try on a positive note ,even if you don't do as well as you did the day before. Hope this helps some. :)

LadyAnne
20-06-12, 16:12
Wow, thank you Waunder for your advice. It's amazing what just a few words of advice and encouragement can do for someone. Today I was able to drive myself to my therapy session for the first time in a few months and once it was finished, I was so confident, I was able to go further down the road and stop in at a coffee shop as a reward. Thanks again for the advice :yesyes:

MiniatureDisasters
24-06-12, 18:05
Good for you Anne, well done :D