PDA

View Full Version : "Text speak" in posts

nomorepanic
19-06-12, 12:40
Please can I remind members not to use "text speak" when writing posts on here as it can be very difficult to read and understand and could deter members from replying.

Thank You :flowers:

venusbluejeans
19-06-12, 13:21
omg deffo!!! ur right no1 shud spk like that on ere, cos it gets confusing, soz

ElizabethJane
19-06-12, 15:52
Please can I remind members not to use "text speak" when writing posts on here as it can be very difficult to read and understand and could deter members from replying.

I had to agree with you on this Nic as I do not always understand it. EJ

macc noodle
19-06-12, 19:39
LMAO - oops text speak (well at least I do understand that ....)

I am 100% with EJ on this - crikey we must be showing our age :D

Macc Noodle

xxxx

LAURA48
19-06-12, 20:02
I don't like text speak either - totally agree with you Nic

dan1234
19-06-12, 20:11
I don't like big blocks of writing. Paragraphs are needed.

text spk is f9 like...

Wolfie
19-06-12, 20:24
I agree, text speak is horrible. We're watching the english language go down the drain!

suzy-sue
19-06-12, 21:17
[QUOTE=dan1234;1005520]I don't like big blocks of writing. Paragraphs are needed.

:shrug::roflmao:
Goodness gracious ...that s expecting a wee bit too much I think Dan ..:sign20: Sue

KK77
20-06-12, 00:12

KK Nic. Orribl m8 2 rite lk dat :lac:

blue moon
20-06-12, 02:44
Shite....I have trouble at best of times reading posts,let alone in text.
Petra x:)

jackjames
26-06-12, 09:11
I agree on this...

theharvestmouse
17-07-12, 18:30
Think this needs bumping up as there are still people using text speak and I find it annoying.

JonoClouds
17-07-12, 18:41
I completely agree with NMP.
All the text-speak is really innapropriate.
Writers who omit apostrophes (as when texting) do not do themselves any favours.
When I see things like im, ill and dont and so on it sends out so many negative signals about the writer. It's a shame really.
(I'm not complaining about mistakes with apostrophes, it's when people habitually and deliberately miss them out completely,
so they say things like "im going here and then ill do it, dont worry"!)

PanchoGoz
17-07-12, 19:04
What bugs me is things like "hey i thnk im diein can any1 hlp plz tnks xxxx"

Jon1979
17-07-12, 19:13
Guilty as charged with the apostrophes, I am quite random with them, sometimes I put them in sometimes I don't. I will hold my hands up and say it's sheer laziness and I should know better :)

theharvestmouse
17-07-12, 21:39
A wrong apostrophe here and there is forgiveable but this text speak really gets on my nerves.

venusbluejeans
24-10-12, 16:43
BUMP......

I have read a couple today that are completely impossible to read.......

Please remember that you may be able to read a post you have written in 'text speak' but others may not be able to understand them, so they look at it and ignore your thread and not give you the help/advice that they may otherwise be able to give you.

so please avoid text speak on your posts.

Annie0904
24-10-12, 16:47
As a literacy teacher I have to agree :) I once had a student write her English exam in text speak! needless to say, she failed!

Zingything
24-10-12, 17:13
I have students who submit essays and assignments which are littered with text speak - U instead of you; d8 instead of date; etc. - it drives me nuts. Needless to say the work is returned to them for corrections to be made.

I have to say that I also dislike text speak in text messages. It really irritates me.

ricardo
24-10-12, 17:14
one of the perils of mobile phones. nevertheless i totally agree.

Zingything
24-10-12, 17:31
I also get students text speaking in emails when they submit their work (I work at home mainly now). I don't just mean youngsters but more mature students in their 30s, and 40s. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Sparkle1984
24-10-12, 22:10
The occasional bits of text speak such as LOL or OMG don't really bother me, in fact I use them myself sometimes, but if someone posts an entire message in text speak (with no punctuation) it's really hard to read!

PanchoGoz
24-10-12, 22:38
There's been some crackers recently!

richardm
25-10-12, 00:07
Just another thing on the list of things I hate about modern life, between this and all these stupid meaningless expressions like "at the end of the day" "its not rocket science" etc our language has been dumbed down at an alarming rate

Zingything
25-10-12, 00:11
I feel the same richard, another is 'and she/he turned round and said..'
It is surprising how often you hear phrases like that being used, 'do you know what I mean?' :)

richardm
25-10-12, 00:56
:) Sadly I havent worked in a good few years due to my illness but in offices and particularly in middle management these bullshit expressions were like a disease so being long term sick does have some benefits .

Ive come to the conclusion that speaking normal English just doesnt seem possible for most people these days.

Edward_1980
25-10-12, 15:46
I'm finding some member's posts impossible to read because of all the abbreviations.

Col
25-10-12, 23:52
Here here! I absolutley hate text speech, It's common and adolescent. Which for youngsters is fine, there's always going to be a grand trend and at the moment it's having a smart phone and seeing who can communicate with the least amount of words.
It's like doing the English version of sudoku, it defeats the object (of time saving) for me anyway. It takes me ages to figure it out and I've got an English A- level. My English isn't great but huge quantities of text talk = frustrating!