PDA

View Full Version : Hospital programe's set of my anxiety

kellylou89
20-06-12, 22:11
Does anybody else find this?? .. my mom watches hospital programes and whenever she has them on i find my mind goes into overload and my anixety sky rockets.
on today there was a girl doing spinning class and her legs got really swollen and collapsed on her and her muscles produced a posion and her legs had to be operated on.

Know i am worrying because when i walk sometimes my legs feel like theyre weak like i have been walking for hours! and since watching it my legs are twitching!!
its really freaking me out :weep:

cocohac
20-06-12, 22:23
Hello,
Just wanted to say you are not alone . I too am exactly the same when those sort of programmes are on xx

kellylou89
20-06-12, 22:30
Hello,
Just wanted to say you are not alone . I too am exactly the same when those sort of programmes are on xx

its so horrible isnt it .. thankyou for replying!

lindajane1971
20-06-12, 23:11
I was watching the same programme!!!! yes very shocking that young girl and her legs!!! they never did say what it was exactly but I'm sure it was very rare!!!
the part that got to me was when the heart attack person died, my mum died like that and although it was 4 years ago it's still like it was yesterday to me.
try not to dwell on it, remember that if the programme only showed the "normal" A&E events then it wouldn't be on the telly so they are going to show the rare stuff etc....same as the papers and magazines!!

kellylou89
21-06-12, 00:01
So sorry to hear about your mom! .. Very true what tou said! .. My legs ache now can anxiety make this happen? I have focused on my legs since watching it, they have been fine all day and since that they now ache!

geishagirl
21-06-12, 14:22
i am terrible....i cannot even hear casulty music without palps :(

saab
21-06-12, 21:27
I have never enjoyed medical shows, but I now avoid for this reason, plus I find it upsetting and sad to see people injured or ill. It wouldn't be much of a show however, if they showed all the hundreds of people who go for tests and find nothing wrong, or who are discharged after successful treatment.

Again, it's about accepting uncertainty. I once thought a red bump on my leg was a DVT - turned out to be an insect bite. It could have been a blood clot, but being rational about it, it was very unlikely. Even if it had been, it could have been sorted out. I am working hard to accept uncertainty, and to believe that yes there will be problems, but I will cope when they arrive. Tv always show the most extreme cases or unusual outcomes.

I need to stop reading the Daily Mail as that is full of 'GP failed to spot my xxxxx (insert horrifying disease of choice) in time' type stories. Again, you forget the thousands of successful treatments going on all the time, and focus on the few bad stories.

imissnotworrying
22-06-12, 00:23
can't watch medical shows at all... or tv shows the minute something medical comes up.. have to turn it over and try to get it out of my head.. can't even have people mention medical problems around me because my mind fixates and thinks im going to get what was mentioned or what was spoken of on tv or something.. i wish this thinking its also going to happen to me was about positive things, e.g someone wins the lottery and i dont think 'that could be me!' and go get a ticket, but when its something negative my mind pounces on it and causes me to worry