PDA

View Full Version : *New Member* Please Help Me.

Louise1234
21-06-12, 11:40
Hi everyone,

I am new to this and i am so thankful i have found this site. I am 19 years old and i have been getting panic attacks since i was 16. They have completely ruined my life! I havent been to work or out properly for 2 years because i am so frightened! When i start to feel the panic coming i tend to shake, especially my legs, then i feel dizzy and like i cannot breathe, even though i know they cannot harm me, i always think that its not a panic attack and that im actually going to stop breathing and im going to die. I hate living like this, i dont want to be on medication because i am so young i am currently waiting to have CBT Therapy.
This tuesday coming i am starting a hairdressing apprenticeship but i am so scared that im going to have my panic attacks when i am there and i really do not want this to happen. I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice of some ways people have learnt to control the shaking and the panic i would be so so greatful, i cant take no more of my panic attacks they bring me down so much :'( Please help me¬

hanshan
21-06-12, 12:58
Hi Louise,

Keep posting and you will keep getting lots of support and advice.

Can you tell people what medication you have tried or are taking now. They may be able to make some suggestion while you are waiting for CBT.

Louise1234
21-06-12, 14:04
Hi Hanshan,

I really hope i do get some advice and help i feel so lost.

My doctor gave me a low dosage of diazepam i took that for a couple days, it made me feel a little bit relaxed but it didnt stop me from having my panic attacks as i was still having them while taking the diazepam

BobbyDog
21-06-12, 18:34
My son was having this same problem during his last year at highschool.

I contacted school and asked if he could see the counsellor when he was feeling anxious, which he did, also he was given a time out pass, so that when he felt an attack coming on, he could leave the room and go and get some fresh air.

Perhaps you should get in touch with the college and ask to speak to their in house counsellor and see what can be done to make you feel more comfortable.

Louise1234
21-06-12, 19:02
Thank you for your reply! I will defo do that and hopefully they can help

Rach29
21-06-12, 20:29
Hi Louise you sound just like me everytime i have a panic attack i think im going to stop breathing and die its awful but deep down we know its panic try to ride it out the more you panic the worse it gets try to keep as calm as you can keep doing what your doing and tell it to come and do its worst and tell yourself it will pass in a min it goes so much quicker and you are in control then and i also agree with bobbydog about a counceller for support in college, good luck :)

Louise1234
21-06-12, 21:11
Yes i know deep down it cannot harm me but every time for a stupid reason i still think oh hold on a min this isnt a panic attack and your going to die :/ Thank you so much for your advice, i will defo keep trying to stay positive on all of this and i really hope everything goes okay with my apprenticeship and i hope they can offer me some help while i am there. Thank you :)

NL2012
22-06-12, 01:56
Hi Louise... One thing I am realising about these panic attacks (having only been suffering with them for 2 weeks) is that we are in control of our own minds - Although it doesn't feel like it at the time, it just takes some slight alterations to the way we are thinking to calm us down or reduce the affects of the attack. For example, i bet you are feeling slightly better and less anxious whilst posting and reading replies on here? I know i am. Its all about distraction and by posting on here, we are doing something positive to make ourselves feel better. And it works.

I am currently taking pills which my GP prescribed. I personally feel that they only mask the real issue and only get rid of the physical symptoms we feel. I don't plan on being on them for long and would rather talk the anxiety and panic out of me than feel doped up and numb. Push for the therapy...it's good to talk. xxx

Louise1234
22-06-12, 08:58
Hi NL2012,

That is very true and yes it always feels as if no matter what i tell myself i am never going to be able to control them, I know somewhere in my mind that i can control them but just need to realise that i can, it just so scary when its happening.

Yes writing on here makes me feel tonnes better and i do sometimes think its best to talk about my panic attacks although it is a very sensitive subject to me.

My GP has offered me some medication but i do not want to be taking them because i know somewhere i can do this on my own and i am only 19 so i dont really want to be on medication.

Thank you so much for replying to me, and i hope everything goes okay with you :) xxx

NL2012
22-06-12, 12:26
That's ok Louise :hugs:

I think the biggest power we own is our mind and as you said yourself, you know somewhere deep down that you can control what happens during these attacks and after, without need of pills etc. I think we all can.

I find talking helps massively - whether it be face to face, on the phone or written down (i've been writing letters!). Even if it's not about what's going on - even more so if it's about something else as your mind is distracted from all the crappy stuff that's going on or has been going on.

Feel free to msg me anytime - im here for you :) xx

Louise1234
22-06-12, 12:33
:) Yes somewhere deep down i know i can do it.

Talking does help alot and it makes a big difference.

Thank you am here for you too and feel free to message me at anytime aswell :) xx