PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with meds?

violents0ciety1
13-07-06, 22:23
why do people say theyre so bad? im very curious

den64
13-07-06, 22:45
Hi
The problem is medication doesnt suit everyone and at times meds can make the symptoms worse, we all have different views on how to tackle the problems within us, some use meds others take alternative routes its whatever suits you best and what youre comfortable with

Take Care
Denise:D:D

trevor
13-07-06, 23:16
hi,,

i think meds only mask the problems they dont deal with the issues,,ok you take them for a year or 2 and feel good but then you come off them you have withdrawral syptoms and the initial problem you satrted taking the meds for is still there????

only my opinion they work for some i guess,

even docs now prefer not to prescribe meds the favour reading and such,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

Daisybun
13-07-06, 23:17
Hi it is a matter of choice. i tried not to have meds for a long time, but I found that i was just getting lower and lower. i needed something to lift my mood so that i could tackle the underlying cause of my anxiety. i am having CBT as well as meds so that i can try and deal with my anxious thoughts correctly and sensibly/realistically! Meds don't suit everyone, they can have a bad effect, the tablet I'm taking I have had before and I was fine on it and coming off it, not everyone is so lucky.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

SOBAY310
13-07-06, 23:30
Daisy is absolutely correct. As my Dr. told me when he prescribed me ativan, "This is only a band-aid". And that's just what it is, a band-aid for a wound that will eventually heal. But in order to heal, some of us need help at first to get things going in the right direction. For me, I took Ativan for about 4 days and came off of it, and haven't had a panic attack since. So, did it work for me? Yes, i believe so. And I keep my Ativan near me just like I do my asthma spray in case of an emergency. Some people need to be on meds much, much longer, and there is nothing wrong with that. Either way, there is nothing wrong with it. It all depends on how you react.

“If you think growing up is tough, then you're just not grown up enough.” - Steven Page, Barenaked Ladies

trevor
13-07-06, 23:44
hi ,,

i personally wouldnt touch medications because i think you are not yourself while you are on them,,,

yeah i agree they work for some ,

trevor,:D

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

PaladinX
14-07-06, 22:35
can meds help someone who always fears that what they have really isnt anxiety.. I think if i went on meds for a few months and felt totally better, I would be more certain i suffer from anxiety and not a health illness.. If i get off the meds and feel bad or worse. I will know deep down that its anxiety and have a better shot at coping.. What makes me feel horrible is the constant doubt i have that maybe i have a heart problem, maybe i have a disease.. I never really accept that i have anxiety.. when i feel sick i start thinking what ifs..

Only medical tests i have done so far are an ecg for the heart, and a full blood test that checked alot of stuff including thyroid.

Everything was ok.. my C02 level was low.. doctor says thats from hyperventilating?

giddy
15-07-06, 08:04
Hi
Meds can make you feel strong enough to start to tackle your anxiety/panic in other ways. I think its important if you take meds that you also do things like exercise, relax, improve your diet..... so that when you come off the meds you have ways to deal with the anxiety/panic.
love Helen

PanickyPolly
16-07-06, 12:48
Meds for things like general anxiety and depression are just a 'quick fix' and don't get to the root of the problem..ie why are you getting depressed and anxious in the first place? They are fine for short term use ie a few months but longer than that isn't usually recommended. The side effects are usually not good and they can cause more problems in the long run.

Margaret
17-07-06, 08:47
Meds (Diazepam) didn't work for me - but that's a personal thing - and I'm taking St John's Wort - which is herbal - but its still a "med" I guess - my GP says if it works for you take it - and its much milder than the prescription meds, which seems to suit me as I'm really sensitive to any mood altering drug - that (and the chamomile tea and the rescue remedy and the Quiet Life) - all help in my set of tools - just like prescription meds can work really well for some people too.

Guess I'll have to wean myself off all the herbs at some stage - so its horses for courses it seems - it feels like there are loads of "tools" we can try (and this website helps to direct us all to them) and we have to find the ones that suit us best.

Margaret

tara
17-07-06, 10:07
I am a great believer in medication, thats what it's there for !!!

Unless your getting wonderful cbt and full time support to deal with why you feel the way you, I believe medication is the answer.

It totally helped 100% during my anxiety/panic/depression. I was able to function and carry on with my life instead of it controlling me!!!

I took them for over 2 years, ssri's, diazipam, effexor and propanonol and now I only take the occasional propanonol which is non mood altering.

I recieved no cbt or councilling and was told that it's not always best best to open the can of worms that have been stored away for so long.

Like everyone has said on here though, It is each to their own and we all have our own opinions and ways of dealing things.
tara xx

Smile...it confuses people.