PDA

View Full Version : was fine until a dude collapsed on my train with his heart today!!

geishagirl
21-06-12, 14:25
I was doing really well afetr my recent ECG and my work GP listening to my heart and pulse and saying it was very healthy!

But today on way to work a guy of only my age possibly younger in his early twenties collapsed and i didnt look as others were round him but I heard one say 'what is it' and then saying 'its his heart, its his heart'

well i almost fainted myself and my heart went mental and i got my anxiety chest pains

now im panicking all day :(

nomorepanic
21-06-12, 14:41
I am not sure how they could tell it was his heart. He could have just fainted.

He is not you and you have been checked out so try and separate the two things

candy_floss
21-06-12, 18:08
A schoolmate having a heart attack in front of me was what triggered my health anxiety. It was horrific. He was only 13....:weep:.
Then about about a year ago, a guy collapsed on the bus I was on. Luckily there were other passengers who were able to get him medical help whilst I just stood outside shaking and waiting for the ambulance. I felt utterly useless at the time but knew that removing myself from the situation was best for everything because I was on the verge of a panic attack!
Incidents like this stay with you and unfortunately there is no easy way to forget them. I just wanted you to know that your reaction is perfect natural, especially for someone with health anxiety.
I beat myself up for a long time about not being able to do anything to help that poor collapsed man but the last thing everyone needed was to be dealing with me having a panic attack as well.

potato11
21-06-12, 22:29
Geishagirl

It is scary witnessing something like this, but as Nicola has said, you have to put it in to perspective - which is difficult I know, because our minds tend to focus on the exciting things rather than everyday possibility

Did the people helping the guy look liked they knew him? because:

If they did, sounds like they knew he had a heart condition if they were saying 'its his heart' - therefore the collapse wasn't a complete surprise that happened to a 'healthy person'

If they didn't - they would have been making their own diagnosis, presuming by feeling his pulse - which can be erratic for several reasons that don't have a 'cardiac cause' at the foundation - what I mean is, fainting causes a slow heart rate anyway, the 'vasovagal reaction'

Hope that helps you rationalise it a little :)