PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Hopeless/Brian tumour worries :(

AlkiAdam
21-06-12, 17:29
Hello all,

Struggling again with my anxiety (nearly 5 months now)
Bear with me again as to how i explain this,
I have contast feelings of "is this all there is to come" like i have lost any prospect of the future :s if you get what i mean.
Also lose of connection to myself and stuff around me, like if I have gone to work, come home and think back about work, its like i didnt do it, also if i look at old photos i feel it isnt me in them.
Also i did the dreaded looking online for what was wrong with me and I ended up coming across brain tumour symptoms, like how i feel im losing my memory,- cant remember words to use when writing, forgetting how to spell words, and im CONTASTLY thinking about this all the time! Its driving me mad and its getting me depressed!

Anyone know what this is?

Many thanks for reading!

saab
21-06-12, 20:53
Sorry to hear you feel so bad. All the things you describe are symptoms of anxiety and stress - trouble concentration, disassociation, sense of unreality.

I haven't read your other posts so I'm not sure of your background. Have you seen your GP? I would think it would be worth having a chat with them.

The trouble with health anxiety is that it focuses on one thing, and can become obsessive. I think it would be really helpful if you read some CBT books so that you can start to rationalise your worries. It's very hard to accept uncertainty, but try to move towards accepting your thoughts and feelings and rationalising them.

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/helpcope.html

http://www.loveyouranxiety.com/newsletter.htm

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/anxiety-files/200805/what-if-im-the-one-how-intolerance-uncertainty-makes-you-anxious

I have found the Claire Weekes approach very helpful - you accept your panic/anxiety and 'float' through the feelings. I have also found the CBT book The Worry Cure by Robert Leahy helpful.

Try to relax and let the negative thoughts and feelings come - don't try to fight them. Let them wash over you. The thoughts in your head are not real - they are like leaves going past on a stream. Acknowledge them, notice them, but don't analyse them - let them float past you.

I hope you feel better soon.

AlkiAdam
22-06-12, 10:56
Thank you :)
I am currently undergoing CBT at the moment, however I have got myself in such a rut that I feel like im only exsisting at the moment and not living :(
I am getting so worried i have a brain tumour that i think im losing my mind, to the point I feel like im losing my memory (which is a symptom) and my intelligence is lowering if that makes sense :S x

Richard1960
22-06-12, 11:32
Hi
I think you need to revisit your GP the books listed in post 2 by saab would be good reading material for you, but you have to be in the right frame of mind not worrying and looking for an illness you think you may have,your doctor can prescribe some mild tablets such as 2mg of Diazapam if you are not already on meds,it will give your mind a chance to slow down and rest,or even a small course of other meds,but before you can start reading or anything else you do need to calm down which your GP can help you with if you tell them.

If your mind is all over the place how is the CBT going? I really would go revisit your GP Good Luck ,Richard.

Kelxx
22-06-12, 14:23
I am in the exact same situation :(

AlkiAdam
23-06-12, 12:22
its driving me mad :(