PDA

View Full Version : weak leg in bed/standing

matrix123
22-06-12, 16:59
Ive posted about this issue before, but Im noticing something "strange".while in bed my left leg feels so weak. when I stand up its a little better,but still weak. However when walking/running it feels better. Its easier to walk for like 30 minutes than stand gor 10 monutes.

Can it be anxiety or its dome nasty neuro stuff?

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Update: just came back from 40 mins of walking...not feel tired...but have some slight pain the knee and the calf. So confused :(

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

anyone please?

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

no one has something similar from anxiety? I'm getting worried :(

southey
22-06-12, 17:14
I know I had trouble with lower back pain a while ago and on visiting a Osteopath she thoroughly checked me over and indeed found one leg was weaker than the other.

I think she got me to stand on one leg and raise the other while she was resisting with her hands. After the session to loosen up all my knotted muscles the strength has vastly improved!

Do you suffer any lower back or muscular problems that may be causing poor posture ? It's amazing how everything is linked in the body and how muscles in our backs can affect our legs!

Also your reporting that after walking it feels better? This could support my observations as after walking you will be nice and loose muscle wise whereas in bed you can stiffen up?

Pain in the knees is to be expected to some level and will be an increasing fact of life as you age.

Steve.

matrix123
22-06-12, 17:20
Thanx Steve, I don't have back pain. Ma "positive" thinking is that maybe i have tensed up the muscles in the calf too much by being anxious all the time and this is why walking helps. As for the weakness in the morning while in bed...that must be from anxiety because it gets worse the more I stay in bed. In the afternoon it feels much stronger (although still weaker than the right).

Still confused and worried though...

southey
22-06-12, 17:32
Try the leg test with some one who can give an objective view. Either stand and try to kick out each leg in turn with a straight knee while the other person tries to resist or sit on a chair and do the same thing but flexing from the knee.

One leg will be a tiny bit stronger than the other naturally but if you say one leg is a lot weaker the other person will notice.

Do this when you feel you have a weak leg. If it is weaker the person resisting the movement should be easily able to spot it. Don't tell the person before hand which one you think is weaker so as not to influence their answers.

At least you will have another persons opinion if you really do have a weak leg or just anxiety related issues?

Steve.

matrix123
22-06-12, 19:46
thank you steve...went out again for a walk...it mostly the knee that feels weak and some pain. not sure what to think...

matrix123
23-06-12, 10:06
Woke up around 6am today and it felt more or less ok. Got back in bed and the more I stayed the weaker it felt :(

Now it feels weak and have slight pain behind the knee (one of the tendons). This is so confusing

matrix123
23-06-12, 15:58
Sorry to bother you again with this issue...but after some self tests I think I haven't described the issue correctly. I have tried to push things with each leg..or lift them and it seems I have more or less the same strength. The biggest issue I have is that when standing, if I put my weight on the left side I get some pain behind the knee and have to put the weight in the right side. Also when walking up the stairs I get the same feeling.

Does anybody knows if real weakness is associated with pain or what I'm experiencing has more to do with muscle tension and maybe tendon issue?

matrix123
23-06-12, 20:44
anyone please?

matrix123
26-06-12, 10:55
I'm sorry to bring this issue again...but I'm still struggling to understand :(
The typical pattern is that when I wake up in the morning it feels so weak. Afterwards when I go out for a walk of 60-90 minutes it feels better (not the same as the right, but better). In the evening sometimes it's good, sometimes weak. Also sometimes when I wake up at night I have this "restless" feeling on the left leg...like I have to move it all the time (this last thing can be related to the meds I'm taking maybe).

Anyone with similar experience or some rational explanation...

matrix123
27-06-12, 10:48
no one has any idea??? :(