PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine/Effexor for Pure O Ocd

LAURA48
22-06-12, 15:59
Am curious to know whether the above meds are helpful for Pure O - OCD?

I am currently on 40mg Citalopram and have got another 3 weeks to go until the 12 week mark. Am under a psychiatrist but to be honest am not impressed with Cit at the moment. My thoughts are still as vibrant and distressing as ever - feel as though I have been prescribed a placebo.

I was on Prozac for 15 years and it was magic but gave up the ghost in October - thoughts have since been back with a vengeance I have tried going back on it - made me suicidal, went on Sertraline - nothing.

Just getting so tired with it all the Psychiatrist mentioned Effexor SR as Plan b - but just wanted to know if anyone has had success with it!

Just having a bad day at the moment! as you may probably guess!

Thanks in advance

Laura

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Also taking 1mg lorazepam when needed and believe that is the only thing keeping me afloat at the moment.

Emphyrio
01-07-12, 19:57
Have you tried Fluvoxamine (Luvox)? Its meant to be good for OCD.

I would have asked to try it but I've been having a few weeks where I've felt like I'm about to lose control and have started on prozac again - I'm hoping I can stabilise myself and get some of my damn thesis out the way before I think about trying something which I can be better suited to.

LAURA48
01-07-12, 20:28
Hi - that one was not mentioned - it is an SSRI I believe and tbh they are not suiting me now - Oh how I wish Prozac worked again for me - it removed all the irrational thinking. Think the psychiatrist was thinking if this SSRI doesn't work then Effexor XL - apparently this can be stimulating - hope it works its magic like Prozac.

Sure once you have settled on the Prozac - things will pick up for you - thanks for answering my thread and good luck with the thesis.

Laura

blue_haired_devil
09-07-12, 14:53
I have pure O OCD and I'm afraid I was on effexor when it developed. I can't say effexor did anything for my OCD at all.

LAURA48
09-07-12, 15:12
Hi - oh that's a shame. It is really helping me - doubling the dose at the end of the week but feeling much better.

Hope you get sorted.

Take care Laura