PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Fear

constantworrier
14-07-06, 10:17
Hi All,
This probably sounds quite funny, but i sneezed violently yesterday and i'm worried now that i may have caused a hernia! I managed to talk myself out of rushing to the doctors this morning for reassurement but i'm catastrophising now about complications and prospective surgery! I've got some aching in my groin following the sneeze, though i don't have the classic "lump" when i cough or anything like that. If i try to be rational, I've been doing a lot of sitting recently and my chair isn't the most comfortable...maybe it's just bad posture? Maybe i'm just focussing too much on this now and noticing pain more than i otherwise would? It could also be just a muscle strain i suppose. Anybody got any experience with hernias [?]
Thanks,

CW

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon

hayles
14-07-06, 10:37
How funny.

I doubt very much you have caused a hernia from sneezing!
Well done for calming yourself down and not rushing off to the Docs, that is a very big step!

The pain in the groin, could be just you doing it to yourself like we do when we worry, i think we tend to create twinges and pains.

Or it could be just a bit of strain as you say.

Dont worry, its not a hernia, its just that horrible anxiety gremlin getting the better of you....dont let it!

Take care and feel better soon

Hay x

Daisybun
14-07-06, 11:17
I have the most awful cough when i get a cold, i've never given myself a hernia, i think you have probably just strained something and now you are focussing on it and it is making it worse, mind over matter as it were. Hope you feel better soon

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

constantworrier
18-07-06, 10:49
Hayles, it's so true, we can certainly create twinges and pains through anxiety and the muscular tension that occurs as a result of worrying. As you say Daisybun, focussing on any symptom makes it worse. I'm still having the pain, though it's better than what it was...doesn't really bother me when i'm occupied which probably means it's not that serious after all.
Thanks for the reassurement.

CW

xx

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon