PDA

View Full Version : An Agoraphobic

lozenge
22-06-12, 23:48
Hello,
I'm 21 and have suffered with anxiety and agoraphobia for many years to varying degrees. When I was at school I was given counselling and found it quite helpful. I would describe myself as having been "cured" for about a year when I was 17 before relapsing. At 18 I had some CBT sessions but I didn't really throw myself into trying to recover as everything seemed so scary.
I've now been suffering at a consistent and quite severe level for a few years and am finding it very difficult to lead the full and exciting life I wish to lead, though I have managed to go to university this year and have had a job in my home town. I find it difficult to get buses and I cannot drive which means I have very little independence for my age. I don't even like getting in the car with people other than my parents and suffer anxiety whilst out in most places. I'm beginning to find it difficult to see myself being better in the future and being able to do the things I want to do.
I look forward to hearing people's thoughts and might hopefully be helpful to others aswell.
Thank you in advance :)

nomorepanic
23-06-12, 00:00
Hi lozenge

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Pipkin
23-06-12, 23:19
Hi there and a warm :welcome:

I'm sure you'll find loads of members here who share your experience and that you'll find it comforting to see that you're not alone.

Take care and keep posting

Pip x

lozenge
24-06-12, 19:41
Thank you very much :)

dan1234
24-06-12, 20:12
Hiya - you mention CBT which is a great start.

Have you considered trying medication?

Dan

susan1963
24-06-12, 21:48
hiya im the same as you i cant go on buses or any other public transport, but i can go in my partners car and also my parents and i defo cant go anywhere on my own even to my local shops i dont even like being on my own even at home..... ive had this for years i wont take meds due to fear of side affects ill prob ask about CBT but that means having to go somewhere away from my home and dunno if i can do it just letting you know your not alone x