PDA

View Full Version : Hello

barryd
23-06-12, 16:50
Hi,

I'm barry. I have just signed up here after finding the site when googling for help with anxiety in the initial stages of Fluoxetine. I recently went cold turkey off citalopran as I thought I could do without them. I had been taking them for around 12 yrs, having been put on them for depression. I was fine for a week or so but soon after went into a bad depressed phase.

The Dr has prescribed me Fluoxetine as he thinks it may be better for me than citalopran. I am now on day 12 of taking 20mg and am feeling very anxious about everything. I am currently off work due to the depression.

I found a thread on these forums (forum wont let me post it!) , which seems to say anxiety is normal when starting fluoxetine and will pass which was reassuring. I see my Dr on Monday so will tell her what I'm feeling like. I'm finding this very difficult.

That's my story.

Cheers,
Barry

oh no_1
23-06-12, 16:54
hi barry and welcome to NMP. wow you wasw on citalopram for 12 yars.... i was on it for a couple of months but then felt great so like u said i came off too on my own as thought i could cope and didnt know or understand i was to stay on. Currently trying to manage on no meds but thinking i may need to go bk to the doctors.
there are lots of forum and also a chat you can join which is helpful.

Jemma

nomorepanic
23-06-12, 17:01
Hi barryd

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Pipkin
23-06-12, 23:14
Hi Barry and :welcome:

It's very common to suffer from increased anxiety when starting a new AD. Stick with it and it will pass after. Couple of weeks or so. If you're struggling, tell your GP on Monday as there are things that can help.

Take care

Pip

barryd
24-06-12, 12:46
Hi Barry and :welcome:

It's very common to suffer from increased anxiety when starting a new AD. Stick with it and it will pass after. Couple of weeks or so. If you're struggling, tell your GP on Monday as there are things that can help.

Take care

Pip

Thanks Pip. Not sure how much more I can bear this - its horrendous and I don't remember this happening when I started citalopran.

Barry

Pipkin
24-06-12, 12:59
Barry,

I know that it can be horrendous. I was like this at the beginning of the year with some terrible anxiety symptoms. All I can say is that they do pass and then you start the feel the benefits. My GP prescribed beta blockers to help me over the first month and they worked a treat. Have a chat with yours tomorrow and explain how you feel.

In the meantime, try to distract yourself by watching some tv, going for a walk or anything else that stops you thinking about how bad you're feeling. When I was like this, I resorted to watching darts on tv and trying to add up the scores before the commentator. It really worked and now I have a guilty pleasure to boot!

Take care

Pip

barryd
24-06-12, 13:19
Thanks Pip. Were your anxiety symptoms caused by fluoxetine?

Barry

Pipkin
24-06-12, 15:35
Barry,

I've been on 2 different ADs: Sertraline and Venlafaxine. Both caused symptoms at first but sertraline was by far the worst.

Pip

Veronica H
24-06-12, 16:54
:welcome:to NMP Barry. Glad that you have found us. xV

barryd
24-06-12, 17:35
:welcome:to NMP Barry. Glad that you have found us. xV

Thanks for the welcome.

Barry