PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat with out a cold?

cassy1989
24-06-12, 21:45
Hello every one.

Since friday night I have had a very sore throat and swollen glands. It came on slowly and has just got worse. My glands are right up as well.
Yesterday I had a headache in the morning and evening but I haven't had a headache today.
The only thing that is worrying me is that I don't have cold symptoms, like a runny nose and a cough. My body is a bit achey but other then that no cold symptoms.

I'm worrying that it could be some thing serious? It's not tonsilittis because I had some one look down my throat and they said that my tonsils look fine and my throat doesn't even look that red but it is very painful and hard to swallow.

Dreamalittledream
24-06-12, 22:25
I would go to the Dr,

It is quite possibly the beginnings of a throat infection. Nothing to worry massively about but definately needs antibiotics.

I had one at Christmas, went to the Dr on the Thursday and she couldnt see anything but I had a really sore throat, so went home, ended up at the after hours on Sat and got antibiotics for a throat infection.

Because I had waited for ages (like about a week or more) I then obsessed about possible side effects of NOT taking antibiotics early enough for the next three months (until the dr checked me and told me in no uncertain terms that I had not developed a rheumatic fever heart murmur - lol)

Meewah
24-06-12, 23:56
Its going round here. Bad sore throat and then a cough but no running nose. Lasts about 2 weeks with cough. The doctors will not give you antibiotics as it is viral and antibiotics only work with bacterial infections. If you start coughing up green phelm and feel unwell and have a temperature then you should see your doctor and he would prescribe some antibiotics then. Its better that your own immunity deals with it. Over prescription of antibiotics is causing antibiotic resistant bacterial infections which are becoming quite worryingly common. The less antibiotics you take the better your own immunity and the less antibiotic resistant the super bugs will become.

Mee

Dreamalittledream
25-06-12, 00:50
Problem is Mee that a bacterial throat infection, it isnt viral and it can lead to some nasty things.

I had exact symptoms as cassy1989 on Christmas Day and spent it smiling with family no fever (well it didnt feel like it to me), no coughing up phlem - the only symptoms were tired, swollen glands and a sore throat etc...but it was still a bacterial infection.

I agree antibiotics should be avoided where possible but some unfortunately have to have them.

Personally I have just done my first cold with no infection in YEARS - of course now I have a stiff neck from sleeping upright and it took two weeks - I have deviated septum so every time I get a cold or flu I get an infection as my sinus' don't drain well at all.

Hubby has to take antibiotics even for a cold,because he has no immune system (renal transplant). he has tried the whole beat it yourself many times but it just ends with him being miserable for 3-4 weeks rather than just 1-2 and still ends up on antibiotics.

Anxious_gal
25-06-12, 03:55
Try the antibacterial throat sweets, there's the Boots brand and then the more expensive ones.
I find them to be good.
Gargle with warm salt water, eat honey. .
Stay away from acid things like orange juice :)
It should clear up in a few days , I find sore throats tend to take a while to fully clear up.
If you get a fever go see your doctor for antibiotics.

cassy1989
25-06-12, 08:07
Hi thank you for replying every one. I did have a temp on saturday but I haven't now. My throat actually feels a little better today so I feel less panicky now. I think I done the right thing in sleeping so much yesterday! I will try some of those throat sweets though. Sorry for lack of paragraphs, I'm on my phone xx

Meewah
25-06-12, 08:19
Dreamalittle - Yours sounds like tonsillitis or laryngitis which are bacterial but most are viral. Only a doctor will know the difference.

Take Care

Mee