PDA

View Full Version : Sharp stomach pain

j2
26-06-12, 03:50
I am a 40 yr old, male with a history of HA, GERD and IBS and tobacco use. For at least 3 weeks I have had nausea and recurring pain a few inches down from my ribs in the center of my stomach. The pain is moderate to a little more and is really starting to scare me. I can't tell if it is in my colon or my stomach or somewhere else and I am totally freaking out about tumors of stomach, liver or pancreas. I am still eating well and the pain isn't constant but I can't seem to find a pattern like when I am hungry or when my stomach is full or just before or after a BM. The pain is not heart burn but more like a cramping or a stabbing pain. My stomach is not painful to touch and I not passing obvious blood in my stool I am afraid to google and can't afford another trip to the doctor. I take omeprazole for the GERD but this feels different than any other flare up I have had. Can someone give me some ideas of what this could be? Thanks in advance.

J2

AnnOBrien
26-06-12, 19:30
Hi, just to say I've experienced pain where you described, on and off, sometimes worse than others. After investigation it turned out it was muscular and I'm seeing a physio to fix my back muscles as the tension here is being referred into my stomach. I think this easily happens when you're an anxious person as you hold yourself, and therefore all your muscles, tense all the time, they don't get a break. Perhaps you have the same thing?

nicotine
26-06-12, 19:59
Hi there!

I have had similar cramps before and I suffer from GERD as well. Im currently taking Lansoprazole.

I would go to your doctor for medical reassurance! Its quite impossible for anyone to tell you what is 100% going on, but I am confident you should remain calm as GERD pains can change ALL the time. It is the most likely culprit for your pain but then there are perhaps dozens more things it might be! The most unlikely probably to be cancer or tumor as I think more symptoms would be present.

Best thing for you to do is remain calm (stress = cramps, stabbing and twisting pains getting worse!) and see your doctor :D

I hope you feel better soon!