PDA

View Full Version : Brain Battlefield

ScheifferBates
26-06-12, 15:00
Hello all,

Over the last 5-6 months I have been having GAD, I believe it all started back in January when I administered the use of performance enhancing drugs (steroids) just to get a bit of confidence with myself. I remember feeling ridiculously scared 10 minutes after using steroids and lots of different thoughts would run through my head like "I must be going mental to be doing this" "I could well have a heart attack right now" "Is that a pain in my chest? That's a heart attack most certainly". Anyway, after weeks of shortness of breath and panic attacks I stopped taking them and 2-3 weeks later I was back to normal, the thought of anxiety/panicking never crossed my mind.

Recently (May 7th) I started using them again for 2 weeks, again due to low confidence (and me being completely stupid) on my 2nd week of taking them I was admitted to hospital after waking up in the middle of the night with: Sweaty Palms, Shakes, Cold Sweats, Crazy thoughts, Dizzyness, Lightheadedness, etc. The Nurse checked me over and my BP was fine, and so was my heart, the next day I promised myself I would stop taking these devlish steroids for good.

For a few weeks after this I still felt a little one edge, so I decided to have an ECG and a Chest/Heart/Lungs Scan, all results came back clear and my GP told me I needed to start thinking rationally. After this I felt great! I knew there was nothing wrong with me, and all is well!

Until a few weeks ago I started getting some small pressure in the back of my skull and a slight acheyness, I found it difficult to sleep because I was convincing myself that I had a brain tumour, or steroids had permanently damaged me and that I was going to go mental and end up in hospital, on occasions I would have intrusive thoughts such as "I can't take this anxiety anymore my life is ruined." I was due to work in Corfu for 4 months, but after getting all these symptoms I came home yesterday to get things sorted. I also experience what I think is Derealization, (feels like the world i'm in is a dream on occasions etc)

Anyway, this Friday I've booked into see my GP, and i'm praying that everything is going to be okay and that I actually am not turning insane. I just need reassurance, is CBT something people would recommend?

Thanks for listening,

Regards, Scheiffer.

xvolatileheart
02-07-12, 21:47
You are not alone. Lots of us get really fixated on symptoms and think the worst, started blowing things out of proportion, don't believe our test results, etc. It's all part of anxiety unfortunately. You are doing the right thing by going to your GP and asking for help. I've started CBT and I'm hoping it will help.