PDA

View Full Version : Body Dysmorphic Disorder

rebecca.fellows
26-06-12, 16:13
Hi, my name is Rebecca and i am new on here.

I suffer with anxiety and have done through my late teenage years, i am now 18. I tend to have relapses whereby I can deal with my thoughts and feelings completely fine for a period of time and then BOOM - i cry, i pick at myself, i hide away etc etc. I suffer heavily with BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) and i am too ashamed to talk to any of my loved ones about it and i am hoping i will find a release on here. I ahve recently developed a spot on my nose, i have now picked at it and caused a hole in my face. Today i am scared to even leave my house to see my boyfriend...

Thank you everyone!

Hugger-Mugger
27-06-12, 10:34
Hello Rebecca. I too have suffered from BDO for a lifetime (I'm twice your age and more :ohmy:) . I didn't want to tell anybody as I felt embarrassed and because I was young and shy and very introverted I thought nobody would listen anyway.

It can feel all-consuming at times but remember it is irrational thoughts which are making you feel this way. I find distraction quite useful. For instance if I am dwelling on certain aspects of my body I move the distraction to my big toe. I mean nobody can see my big toe - even me, so then hopefully I will forget about it...which I do.

The anxiety plays tricks on your mind and tells you untruths. I know it seems like it wont ever stop but whatever you are thinking, probably the worst kind of thoughts and situations please know that they, in reality, will be just that, tricks...deceits of the mind. Whilst you're vulnerable they like to play.

I had the worst anxiety attack on Monday and do you know what, it was completely without foundation. None of the thoughts and situations played out and in fact yesterday was a good day because the people I had such negativity about did contact with me and allay any fears I had.

I hide myself away too...haven't left the house in over a year. I do have a most wonderful GP though. Have you tried talking to your GP ? Is there anyone whom you trust implicitly ? You can talk to me on here. I do hope you find peace.