PDA

View Full Version : Breathlessness and panic

BobbyDog
26-06-12, 20:39
I don't post very often, but today has been very trying for me!

I suffer from Social Phobia/GAD/Panic/Depression

I have been trying to be positive and push myself forwards recently, by making plans and carrying on with my day even when the panic is bad, but today I started to get breathless first thing in the morning, usually if I busy myself it does not turn into a full blown panic attack. Today it has.

I went into town with my son, thinking the distraction would make it go away, I carried on regardless, but it is night time and my chest is tight and I am still shallow breathing and the negative thoughts are running around my head. I have also tried breathing into a paper bag, but it made no difference, I hate it even more than normal because I am really trying to be positive and am making plans for the future.

Any advice would be much appreciated:ohmy:

potato11
26-06-12, 20:45
Hey

this is a re-post of mine from the other day on a similar thread :)

I remember when breathing was a big issue for me. In fact it was one of the main symptoms. I'll tell you some useful things I learnt:

1) yawns and deep breaths do not solve the problem. however, we get the urge to do them when we over-breathe, due the brain being confused.

this is because, despite taking in a lot of oxygen (through hyperventilation), respiration actually requires two key components - oxygen (duh) and carbon dioxide.

everyone thinks carbon dioxide is the bad guy, but actually in order for a red blood cell to deliver oxygen to a bodypart, it needs to react with carbon dioxide to exchange/release the oxygen from the cell.

so.... when we have too much oxygen (from hyperventilating) we have an imbalance of o2/co2. So despite breathing in MORE oxygen, we're actually not benefitting from this, because we can only take oxygen when we have enough co2 to make a deal with the red blood cells to 'let go' of their oxygen, but overbreathing reduces the amount of co2 in the body.

Meanwhile, your brain is registering signals from the body that the oxygen supply is reduced. So, it makes you feel like you need to breathe MORE.

This is useful in real fight or flight fight or flight because when we are using muscles etc, we are creating an equal output of co2 from the energy metabolism used. However, when we're just cooking the tea, we are not creating an equal surge in co2 when we activate the fight or flight mechanism through panic, so we end up with an imbalance.

the less co2 in the blood, the more 'alkaline' it becomes, which leads to 'vasoconstriction' - meaning narrowing of the blood vessels. this is NOT LIFETHREATENING however its a pain in the bum- because your brain, lips, fingers etc temporarily get less blood flow, in addition to the blood flow already being diverted to the muscles because it has been ordered to by the fight-flight mechanism in preparation for 'running'.

Fight/flight also dilates the bronchioles (air sacs) in the lungs, allowing them to take in more oxygen, which just adds to the 'strange feeling' when you dont need to run anywhere

So.. yes it feels uncomfortable but you just need to gradually learn to accept this is what is going on.

When you feeling like taking big breaths... take a long breath OUT. I bet you this will help relax the muscles around your lungs/stomach and make your next breath more 'satisfying'. Make sure you consciously relax your stomach as well.

Pursed lips breathing is also recommended for shortness of breath - purse your lips whilst breathing in and out, as if blowing out a candle. Not 100% certain how it works but it helped me.

I hope the above helps. Explanations help lessen your fear of sensations, and when you stop fearing them - you stop the unhelpful behaviours that make the symptoms worse, including triggering the fight/flight response that starts all these changes!

It will still take TIME for you to trust that this is what is happening. Just gently remind yourself when you are frightened that this is scary but just a result of stress biology. the symptoms ARE real, but its a benign cause.

I really recommend the links in my signature also :)

Magik
26-06-12, 20:46
Sorry to hear that, Bobby. If you like music, I find singing along to music helps. Thats how my problems develop too. If that doesn't work...Hmmm...

Sometimes fresh air helps if you're inside and also...try a damp, wet cold cloth on your face? That is the one thing that really helps me.

kittikat
26-06-12, 23:32
Hi BobbyDog,

So sorry to hear you have had a bad day, it's so unsettling isn't it? Especially when you think you are getting somewhere and it comes back with a vengence out of the blue. I'm sure it's just a blip, I have had many myself, and those awful feelings and thoughts you get with panic that seem to bring you back to square one :doh:
Make sure you are not pushing yourself too hard, and expect ups and downs along the way. You have done brilliantly well and always give helpful and encouraging advice to others but it's not quite the same trying to give ourselves that same advice eh? I'm sure you will be back on track in no time, it just really knocks the confidence.

Take care and wishing you well :hugs: Kitti x

BobbyDog
27-06-12, 20:45
Thank you Potato11, Magik and Kittikat, I really appreciate your warm comments and sound advice!!!!!!!!!

Makes me feel so much better.