PDA

View Full Version : Dropping sensation when trying to sleep

countrygirl
27-06-12, 10:25
I have had this intermittently over 9 years, I can go 2 years without then get it alot in another year.
Just as I drift off to sleep I get an intense feeling in my head as if I have dropped through the bed ( no movement of body) and this is followed by 5 or 6 really hard pounding heartbeats in the head. If this stops after a couple of hours then I can sleep but last night it did it till 4am and I only managed 2 hrs sleep!
The only thing that works when I have it is to take a sleeping pill but Dr has told me I can only take them occasionally and not one night after another.
I had started on mitrazapine and first 5 days thought great I felt dopey and calm but that passed and now cannot tell i am taking them as this symptom coming back has made me super anxious. I saw Dr today ( not my usual one who is on hols) and she said the mitrazapine is obviously not working and to stop them ( only been on them 12 days) as I cannot take them and a sleeping pill and to go back to my normal Gp when he is back off hols to discuss further. She said that this symptom is nothing to worry about its of a hypnoggic nature:unsure: which means its your brain not going smoothly from awake to asleep.

Does anyone on here get this???
What worries me is the pounding heartbeat for those few secomds after each drop feeling although as I have said I have had episodes of this for over 9 years so don't think it can be anything serious.

saab
27-06-12, 10:51
This is very, very common and is called an hypnic jerk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

As your body drifts to sleep the muscles relax. However, your brain misinterprets this as you falling and so jerks you awake.

I think the fast heartbeat is just a reaction to waking with a start.

countrygirl
27-06-12, 11:19
With hypnic jerks your body actually moves but with me I do not get any body movement at all, itmay be that its just a variation of hypnic jerks as I know they are classed as hpynoggic.

LittleMissSleepy
27-06-12, 20:39
hey countrygirl, remember I said to you a while back I get these but instead of the feeling in my head I get it in my stomach. I had it really bad on saturday night to the point everytime I was falling asleep I was shocked/boinged awake all night long, so I didn't get any sleep. This tends to happen after an episode of panic/fear during the day. And I had nearly fainted that day from food poisoning, so was pretty anxious.

I think it is just the adrenaline keeping us from falling asleep. I don't know why but it is frustrating adding to our fatigue and scary.

The boing is so strong it disturbs anyone else sharing the bed :(

Have the docs not worked out what this is yet ?

Hope you get some sleep soon.

countrygirl
27-06-12, 22:45
Hi LittlelMIssSleepy. Sometimes I can feel it in my stomach as well and I have def in the past like you had it on a day where I have been panicked during the day with say dizziness or fluttery heart beat.

HOw do you cope on the nights where it just won't let you sleep??

Do you also get the pounding heart for a few seconds after the boing??

saab
28-06-12, 12:08
It's more common when you are stressed apparently, so that might explain why it has been worse when you have had a bad day. Also, I think your body can get into a pattern of not sleeping/restless sleep.

I have sometimes found that sitting up in bed helps me to sleep when I am feeling anxious or having ectopics.

LittleMissSleepy
28-06-12, 20:16
Yes Countrygirl, i do get the raised and pounding heartrate right after each and every boing. But I know to just let it be and it soon returns to normal. Mind you my heart was pounding for the next few days due to fighting off the bug.

Are you still getting these boings most nights ?

I found it really frustrating and soon remembered the last time it happened I didn't fall asleep and stay asleep until it was nearly time to get up. However this time my OH had to get up early at 6am so I knew i wasn't going to get any sleep.... I saw the sun come up and just thought oh phooey, have to wait until the following night to catch up.

Are you able to catch up on your sleep after these episodes ?

Falling asleep after a bad day from stress/anxiety/PA is one thing but to not be able to STAY asleep over and over is sooooo annoying and scary.

It is a vicious circle alas. Are you doing anything to relax during the day?

kimkitson77
28-06-12, 20:42
I get the exact same feeling!! And sometimes even when im lay awake starting to feel relaxed!!
Im under alot of stress at the minute so i guess it's that as they have only started the last week!
I havnt been sleeping well at all.. when i do fall asleep im in a very light one and waking up every couple of hours! Its horrible and i feel terrible the next morning!!

countrygirl
28-06-12, 22:43
Thanks both. so nice to know I am not alone in this. Anyone who has never had this sensation just looks at me weirdly so I don't mention it much.

I had it last night every few mintues for about an hour when I went to bed but it did stop but by then I was wide awake even after only 2 hrs sleep night before!! My Dr had given me very mild sleeping pill half normal dose so I took one and knew nothing until 7 hrs later. Other sleeping pills have hardlyworked on me in the past but this one zopiclone does!! Leaves a horrible taste in the mouth though. If I am struggling tonight I am going to cut the half dose in half and see if it still as effective.

In the past i have found that over time usually a week or two or three or so the "boing, great name will call mine that now" do lessen in intensity and duration so can only hope the same things happens this time.