PDA

View Full Version : Black/tarry stool

Fearthainn
27-06-12, 16:12
Last Saturday I drank a lot of alcohol (first time in a couple of years that I drank so much, although I have been drinking a few beers occasionally and having a poor diet since the Euro started), and the next day I had a couple of very smelly, tarry stools. Sorry for the detailed description.

Anyway I went to the doctor the next day, although by then the stool colour had gone back to normal. He hardly examined me and just told me it's probably gastritis. A blood count later has also turned out ok.

I am on omeprazole and a few days later I still feel like my stomach is burning and a lot of pressure on the right side of my abdomen. I'm just a bit afraid it might be something more serious than gastritis, like a bleeding ulcer or something else.

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess the alcohol caused it but it still can't be a good sign. I think I might go for an endoscopy.

PanchoGoz
27-06-12, 17:15
If it comes back, get him to test it again when it is black. He should be able to tell from looking at it. Alcohol does funny things, some turn your vomit black too. If it doesn't come back then it was due to the alcohol and you have nothing to worry about.
I wouldn't say it is a symptom of anxiety though.

Fearthainn
27-06-12, 21:40
Sorry I should have posted this in the Health Anxiety section. Would be highly appreciated it someone could move it there, thanks!

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:17
No it is fine here

shotokansho
28-06-12, 12:25
Hi there. I agree it doesn't sound anxiety related but it seems the worse is over. Try and be kind to your body by eating better and drink plenty of water, cut down on caffeine and fizzy drinks and alcohol. I tell you at weekends I drink like a fish and my bowel movements are not good afterwards.

Fearthainn
01-07-12, 19:45
Cheers all I agree the worst should be over for now!

Still, I have made an appointment with a gastroenterologist on Wednesday so I'll let you know how it goes, in case someone else experiences the same.

selphie
01-07-12, 20:26
when i drink alcohol it turns my stools a really dark colour its happened to me on numerous occasions xx

Jsp
01-07-12, 22:21
Dark stool is quite common when you've drunk alcohol. Drink a lot of water, eat a lot of fibre and vegetables, and see how you go then. Make sure you take your omeprazole in the morning at least 20 minutes before you eat otherwise it decreases the effectiveness of the drug.

Fearthainn
02-07-12, 08:53
Cheers both that's reassuring! Funny how something that apparently is so common has spiraled out of control to the point it has got me obsessing about my fear of death and my mortality again... It's so ridiculous it would be funny if I was able to laugh at it right now!