PDA

View Full Version : So Sad about my little dog...

HappyNow
27-06-12, 21:06
I realise now what has triggered the resurgance of my depression.
I have to get rid of my 1-year-old dog because the wife just cant get on with him.

It's a "me or the dog" kind of thing, so I cant see any other way around it.
He's a lovely little thing, border collie / lurcher cross. Only three legs now after he ran off in January and got hit by a van, (there's actually a lovely story about that), but you wouldn't know it to look at him scamper about - in fact it took the vet's receptionist 5 minutes to notice his missing leg while she was strokng him the other day.

Well, looks like he has to go tomorrow.
(Unless anyone in the Oxford area fancies a new friend?)
:weep:

bottleblond
27-06-12, 21:08
Oh no that's so sad. Why is your wife so against the wee dog?

HappyNow
27-06-12, 21:11
He's still a puppy, so he digs, chews stuff - the usual thing.
The REALLY sad thing is that he's over most of that but she cant forgive him for digging up her plants last year or chewing the kitchen chairs.

Given a couple more months he'd be perfect.... sigh.

bottleblond
27-06-12, 21:15
Um can i ask where the dog is going?

HappyNow
27-06-12, 21:20
Newbury Dog's Trust

bottleblond
27-06-12, 21:26
Awwwwww look huni i know you're really upset but my adivce on this situation is.....Keep the dog and get rid of the wife. Lol...Ok so the dog dug up some flowers and chewed some stuff. Big deal!!..My dog did all that at the same age and i still have him 12 years later..He also ran off and got knocked down same as your dog, he lost toes and has a massive scar but they managed to save the leg. I'd never part with him no matter what anyone threatened me with. :hugs:

macc noodle
27-06-12, 21:33
I have a very very naughty springer spaniel who is 2 this month - thanks to him I have hardly any skirting board that remains unchewed in the kitchen, none at all in the utility and my kitchen table and chairs have been personally customised by his chewing :)

But my dogs are my saviours - I love them to bits and they help me in my darkest hours and it just seems such a shame that you have to get rid of your dog when he is coming out of his "naughty" stage.

Can you not tell your wife exactly how you feel and can you not renegotiate?

And just one other thing which really bugs me is that a dog really is for life unless they are vicious or you cannot provide a safe living environment - surely you and your wife agreed on this dog before it was brought home ??

blue October
27-06-12, 21:33
Awwwwww look huni i know you're really upset but my adivce on this situation is.....Keep the dog and get rid of the wife. Lol...Ok so the dog dug up some flowers and chewed some stuff. Big deal!!..My dog did all that at the same age and i still have him 12 years later..He also ran off and got knocked down same as your dog, he lost toes and has a massive scar but they managed to save the leg. I'd never part with him no matter what anyone threatened me with. :hugs:

I didn't have the bottle to post what you did miss blond.

The wife is asking alot from you especially taking into consideration what you and your little friend has been through. My dog did the same, we bought him a muzzle, he could still drink but couldn't chew, he soon learned the rules. My dog is 5 now and he listens to everything i say.

On a lighter note, you could try locking them both in the cellar and see who appreciates you the most when you open the door :)

bottleblond
27-06-12, 21:36

The wife is asking alot from you especially taking into consideration what you and your little friend has been through. My dog did the same, we bought him a muzzle, he could still drink but couldn't chew, he soon learned the rules. My dog is 5 now and he listens to everything i say.

On a lighter note, you could try locking them both in the cellar and see who appreciates you the most when you open the door :)

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Well said.

P.s i am the naughty admin around here so i will get told off later. :winks: Lol xx

HappyNow
27-06-12, 21:45
Well, this is our second dog as a family, so we BOTH (see the stress on 'both') know what's involved. Both dogs were rescue dogs.
I've had dogs all my life and yes, they really ARE the best kind of friends.

Unfortunately, not everyone knows the fruits of tolerance and patience...

bottleblond
27-06-12, 21:49
So why did you 'BOTH' get the dog in the first place?

pinkdove
27-06-12, 21:49
aw happy im so sorry to read your story, could you not take your wee dog to puppy training classes, but its just the puppy stage, he will get over that, make sure he has plenty of chew sticks, and attention, they tire quite easily, oh i dont know what to say, i couldnt be without my wee dog, she has been a true friend and helped me through my depression.

maybe another chat with he wife, good luck xxx

HappyNow
27-06-12, 21:59

...dude, don't tempt me! ;)

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

aw happy im so sorry to read your story, could you not take your wee dog to puppy training classes, but its just the puppy stage, he will get over that, make sure he has plenty of chew sticks, and attention, they tire quite easily, oh i dont know what to say, i couldnt be without my wee dog, she has been a true friend and helped me through my depression.

maybe another chat with he wife, good luck xxx

I've been giving him obedience training for the last 6 months since she said he had to go. (he's 1yr3mo)
He's doing really well too, and even waits by my hjeel when out for a walk and we have to stop to cross a road.
But he jumped on the kitchen table today after we'd cleared dinner away and that was the last straw... (though, honestly, yes big deal - any puppy will do that).

Been fighting for 6 months now and she won't give in.
It's going to destroy me to know that he's probably going to spend the rest of his life in a rescue centre.:weep:

pinkdove
27-06-12, 22:09
oh no happy, he sounds like a nice wee dog, and should be allowed the odd "mistake" as hes still very young, maybe if she read your posts, do you think she might give the wee dog another chance, although i do think she should take your feelings into consideration, i wish you luck, and hope you can both work something out, i can tell how much you love him..god bless !!!

bottleblond
27-06-12, 22:11
Don't do it. I'm sorry but you love that dog and he loves you too. Don't give in poppet....:hugs:

blue October
27-06-12, 22:15
Im sorry to put some extra fuel on the fire here happy. but but but.

If you let the little fella go, will she find something else to channel her negativity on?

Your looking at this little dog now knowing his future yet also knowing he loves you more than he loves himself...

HappyNow
27-06-12, 22:20
Im sorry to put some extra fuel on the fire here happy. but but but.

If you let the little fella go, will she find something else to channel her negativity on?

Your looking at this little dog now knowing his future yet also knowing he loves you more than he loves himself...

I'm sorry to say, yes she will. But she's blaming everything that's wrong int he world with him. Whenever something happens it's the dog's fault.
But I've been over and over SO many times and had so many reprieves, and I'm also scared that she'll harm him or just let him loose.

haz
27-06-12, 22:23
---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

I've been giving him obedience training for the last 6 months since she said he had to go. (he's 1yr3mo)
He's doing really well too, and even waits by my hjeel when out for a walk and we have to stop to cross a road.
But he jumped on the kitchen table today after we'd cleared dinner away and that was the last straw... (though, honestly, yes big deal - any puppy will do that).

Been fighting for 6 months now and she won't give in.
It's going to destroy me to know that he's probably going to spend the rest of his life in a rescue centre.:weep:[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I would get rid of my other half and keep the dog too! :blush:

I suffered a severe relapse after the death of my dog who I had for 9 years so I really sympathise with you.

Don't worry, he won't spend the rest of his life in the rescue centre, they'll give him the training he needs and he'll find a good home.

:hugs:Haz.

HappyNow
27-06-12, 22:24
Oh... and he's got a blog too!
http://maxmayhem.tripawds.com/

Hang on to your hankies...

bottleblond
27-06-12, 22:36
Look i'm sorry but bloody grow a set and tell your wife to behave herself. Poor wee doggy. No way i would get rid of him because my other half was a moaning minnie. Tsk

HappyNow
27-06-12, 22:49
Look i'm sorry but bloody grow a set and tell your wife to behave herself. Poor wee doggy. No way i would get rid of him because my other half was a moaning minnie. Tsk

... hmmm, she made me get rid of THEM a few years ago as well.

8x 'snip' x8

bottleblond
27-06-12, 22:54
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Oh you poor poppet. Seriously, you have feet so put one down and say NO..If she goes near an inch of that dogs hair then shave hers off whilst se is alseep. The dog has done nothing wrong apart from being a dog. Man up honey and tell her to behave!!:hugs:

blue moon
27-06-12, 23:48
:roflmao::roflmao:
I agree with BB,grow set of balls and put her in kennel.
Petra x