PDA

View Full Version : Chest pain - scared!

LuSmith
27-06-12, 21:53
Hey guys.

Since the early hours of the morning 4amish this morning, I have been suffering with chest pain that's radiating through to my back and it's not disappearing which is making me worry.

It's like right in the centre and through to my shoulderblades. I feel like my left shoulder and arm is a bit painful too.

Thing is, it is tender and slightly painful to press on my chest, and my shoulder and top of my arm is too where it hurts. Im scared it's a heart attack but wouldn't I be dead by now? (it's nearly 10pm)

I feel nauseas and like I need to burp but can't too. Rationally I am on medication for acid reflux/gerd, but I'm scared this isn't heartburn as normally I wouldn't get arm pain.

Could it just be heartburn and inflammation? My ribs do hurt from time to time on various occasions.

m.elise
27-06-12, 22:02
I suffer from acid reflux and I know that it can be as painful as some say a heart attack is. As far as your other symptoms, I know it doesn't take much for me to wake up from sleeping funny or uknowingly pinching a nerve or something and all of a sudden my ribs/arms/whatever hurt, especially when I inhale/exhale. Stay calm and don't let your mind wander. But if you are still in a lot of pain I'd say not to risk it and go to your local hospital.

LuSmith
27-06-12, 22:12
Thing is its not awfully painful, I can still move and walk around, its just making me feel a bit sick and feels like I need to burp a lot, which doesn't relieve it.

The pain didn't wake me up lol unfortunately my baby woke me up and then the pain kept me awake. I feel just bloated and like it hurts to breathe a bit because of the sicky feeling..l can't explain it well :(

I've got a trip tomorrow which I've paid a lot to go on so I can't really go to the hospital now, I would obviously if I knew it was definitely serious but not for heartburn or something lol.. I just wish I was sure!

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:13
It could be acid reflux/indigestion but you have to go on how you feel about it.

I had this pain last night and had some paracetamol and the pain went about 30 minutes later. Please note I have had a previous heart attack as well

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:14
Try some tonic water if you have any to make you burp as well. It could be trapped wind

LuSmith
27-06-12, 22:18
I've burped a couple of times but it's not really relieved it. I was diagnosed with acid reflux/heartburn about 6 months or so ago ans sometimes it does get worse at times but I don't remember it lasting this long.

I don't know what a heart attack would feel like so I'm just worrying myself, as I'm sure it would be more obvious.

It's the arm pain that worries me.. Do bones normally hurt when you press them? Could this just be inflammation and heartburn?

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:28
Have you tried pain killers?

When I pressed the centre of my chest last night it was sore so I knew it wasn't my heart in the end

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:29
I can't tell you what a heart attack feels exactly like but there was no way I would have come on here to post and ask for advice on it - if that helps

LuSmith
27-06-12, 22:39
Sort of like if you have a heart attack then you'd know about it therefore wouldn't be asking?

I haven't taken any paracetamol since this morning, but I on,y took one at a time. Could try taking two. It's not severe pain, just aggravating, the upper back pain and sicky feeling is the worst part. (and perhaps the arm pain)

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:43
I just knew the chest pain wasn't right and had pain down my right arm so got my partner to call 999.

If the pain has been constant all day then I would get it checked out to be honest as it I cannot ignore giving you advice to do that as it would be irresponsible of me.

Only you can decide on this one I am afraid to say like I did last night with mine.

LuSmith
27-06-12, 22:46
Thanks, I'll take paracetamol and see if it helps. I think the anxiety of it probably worsens my awareness of it. If it gets worse i will phone Nhs direct or something.

Seanydee
27-06-12, 22:49
My doctor told me if u get chest pain that's painfully when u press on my chest it's not your heart that's the problem it's more likely to be a pulled muscle :)

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 22:55
If you call NHS direct they will send you to hospital with any sort of chest pain. You could try the out of hours doc instead

LuSmith
27-06-12, 22:58
Ahhh okay. Oh and thing is I've had pains that hurt when pressed before, and was told it could have been costochondritis as I get pain around the sternum and rib cage. With the heartburn and the arm pain its harder to differentiate so Im worried, but I will ring out of hours doc if need be for advice :) thank you

nomorepanic
27-06-12, 23:13
Sorry I can't give you a definite answer but it would be impossible to do so over the internet.