PDA

View Full Version : help for symptoms of health anxiety

PaladinX
14-07-06, 23:00
My situation is that I might have anxiety. The biggest problem i face is accepting or knowing for sure that what I have is really anxiety and not a health problem. Ive seen my doctor, gotten a thorough blood test done and an ecg. Everything turned out ok. But thats not enough to convince me.

I can either take a billion medical tests, which I have no insurance right now, Or maybe I can try anxiety medications. My goal is not to take medicine as a cure. I would like to maybe try a mild tranquilizer or a mild anxiety medication that can prove to me that what I am feeling is anxiety. I feel that if i took an anxiety pill for a month, and felt better and was like ok. So it really is anxiety.. I could come off and have a more successful time battling anxiety on my own.

The logic Is... lets say you have a few powerful drinks. The room spins, you feel dizzy, u feel sick. It doesnt bother you at an anxiety level because there is a justification for the feelings. You know your drunk, and as bad as you feel you accept it. You deal with it, you dont have anxiety or worry or fear over it. I feel that might happen to me after I get off the medication. As bad as I feel, I now have a stronger reason for it. I can go with it, deal with it. hell maybe enjoy feeling drunk for free!

jenfen1982
14-07-06, 23:08
lol,
I totally agree with you.

I myself have been to the doc's for numerous tests and an ecg, all ok. But something inside me keeps saying.."there is something wrong wrong,but no one can find it"

I know its daft but its not stupid to me. Don't know what to do. If panic attacks are not dangerous.. Why the hell do they feel so dangerous!

I too do not wanna take pills for it as i feel they might tip me over the edge... Sorry for not giving any direct advice...but you will probably feel better if someone else feels the same.

xxx

jen x

ksmith
15-07-06, 11:49
You might find that you will not appreciate the benefit of anxiety med for two months or so. I was put on prozac and it took two months for me to feel better and then put into perspective the aches, pains, dizziness, pins and needles etc etc. Hope you find an answer and calm! Best wishes
Kay

PaladinX
15-07-06, 18:49
Theres no mild tranquilizers that would help? Something mild? My problem with medication is that now I have to deal with the corrupt world of pharmaseuticals. There could be a mild tranquilizer that probably works well but im sure ill be marketed hardcore pills to take. lol

strawberrie
15-07-06, 19:57
hi paladin, i dont really think this approach will work.

i take prozac at the moment, and it works brilliantly to calm my anxiety - i feel pretty much normal while i am on them, however when i stopped taking them a while ago i found that i went back to my negative ways of thinking. The problem with health anxiety is that it goes against your logical way of thinking, i can have a symptom and whereas i know it is probably not serious there is still that nagging doubt in my mind which i dont seem to be able to control.

Do you have a symptom, and then when you find out that it is nothing serious, you find you move on to another symptom? There is always that feeling that 'this is it, this time'. i know full well that i have anxiety, but when i have a symptom, this still doesnt help me put it into perspective. Meds might convince you that you have anxiety and not something serious while you are on them, but once you come off them i personally dont think knowing that will reassure you enough because logic will go out the window.

i dont want to put you off meds, cos for me they are brilliant at helping to control my anxiety and i can live a normal life with them, however if you are wanting to take them just to prove to yourself that you have anxiety, i personally dont think this will work. thats my experience anyway.

hope that helps a little,
mag

PaladinX
15-07-06, 23:50
Thank you for your input. I guess what you say makes sense. I also think that although anxiety might give simliar symptoms in everyone, it might work differently on everyone.

The difference between most people in here and myself is that they know they suffer from panic attacks, or at least alot of them do. I do believe I have had anxiety in the past. When i was around 19 years old it started because I had a bad experience with marijuana. I went to the hospital and got my heart checked, they told me i was ok, and then things kind of disappeared for years. Now I am 26 and last summer i started not feeling right. This time its prolonged and doesnt want to leave, and the constant dizziness is getting to me. Im not overally anxious or dramatic. Its more of a subconcious, subtle anxiety i suffer from if it is that.

I just thought that if i felt like a new person on medication, I would be more convinced about my symptoms. It would be kind of proof for me. I think I would think less what ifs, cause i would realize that on the medication i didnt have anxiety trouble. IF you are really SURE what you suffer from is anxiety, i doubt we all would be so concerned about our health. Its like if you get drunk.. U know the reason why you feel the way you do. Your not going to get overally worried about it.