PDA

View Full Version : ECG before Venlafaxine.... is this usual?

christyk
28-06-12, 23:22
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and just wondered if anyone else has had trouble starting Venlafaxine? I was given a new meds combo by psych on 31st May I have been on sertraline for almost 12 months combined with other drugs, ten different combinations in total. GP was unhappy with psychs proposal of switching to venlafaxine, quetiapine and mertazapine straight away so decided to reduce my sertraline to 50mg and then zero before starting the rest. I have been on the reduced dose (from 200mg) for three weeks now and have struggled to get an appointment for the last two weeks! i have felt so ill, dizzy spells, really poor sleep etc and have tried to get them to issue a prescription for the new combo since last friday. Today I was handed a script for 150mg sertraline, quetiapine and mertazapine, when I queried it I was told I could not have the venlafaxine without seeing the gp but there was no appointment until 11th July! My mental health advocate contacted the gp and I managed to get an apppointment for this afternoon. The GP then said that she wanted to check with the psych they meant to put me on such a strong cocktail and before I could start venlafaxine I would need an ECG! I feel so anxious and distressed with all the messing about and wondered if this was typical and if any one else has experienced problems? any advice would be really helpful as I feel so afraid

Catya
29-06-12, 10:46
Yes, a different gp (not my usual one) was very alarmist to me and said was I having ECG's on this medication (I wasn't ) .
I have just swapped back to citalopram the other day, although not for that reason. I think it's very un professional of drs to suddenly say this.
What dose venlafaxine have you been told to take? I do know that generally they don't like you mixing it with other antidepressants. Good luck. x

christyk
29-06-12, 14:22
Hey Catya, thanks so much for your reply. I will be on 75mg of venlafaxine quetiepine and 30mg of mertazipine. Ive just had a call from the psych and theyve made me an appointment for Monday so hopefully should get it sorted. thanks again

GillF
19-11-12, 23:46
I've been on 150mg slow release venlafaxine for 12 weeks or so after spending 2+ years on citalapram, supplemented by diazipan when my anxiety rollercoasters, and betablockers 3xday. This is on top of a mixture of painkillers that I need to take following a car accident. Venlafaxine has been a life saver, quite literally, I do have hot moments with the sweaty palms and upper lip. I am struggling with the weight gain (over a stone in 4 weeks) and am calorie counting (900 - 1100 a day) just to maintain my weight at 13 stone. I discovered quite by accident and I know this probably sounds silly, but I find that refined carbohydrates white bread, white rice, some cerals, anything containing white flour eg cakes :weep:, anything in batter or breadcrumbs, and white sugar, hot chocolate, flakes and mars bars (but not other chocolate bars) affect my mental health dramatically in a negative way. I don't have a clue why this is I just know it happens. Another strange food which I have found is a positive contributor to my mental well being is monkey nuts - very odd. I had counselling for 12 weeks and I now see a mental health nurse every two weeks and this is extremely helpful, it is helping me understand the battle that goes on in my head and dealing with all the life traumas that the car accident bought to the forefront of my mind. I've gone on I know, but basically I am trying to look at myself holistically and with the help of the rehabilitation OT I am getting a better understanding of me and how all the bits of me work together and/or against each other.

Oh yes, having an ecg is a normal part of the assessment for people on venlaflaxin.

ammiemum
20-11-12, 04:13
yes i too have just changed from citalapram to venlafaxine [150] even less sleep!hey ho
i haven't noticed any difference indepression on any particular foods but will look into it .also started weight gain and eating less still queasy so ... not heard anything about ecg?