PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with citalopram side effects

Kay-Kay
29-06-12, 10:59
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced any of the emotional side effects that I am about to talk about when taking Citalopram.

I have been taking 10mg for the first 3 month then 20mg for 6 month and i am now back down to 10mg which I have been on since may this year ( been on these meds for one year in total)

What I have noticed is that they are great for relieving anxiety as I really couldn't give a dam about anything when I was settled on them, Getting on them was another story, It did take me 6 weeks to overcome the side effects in the begining which were horrendous, worst being heightened anxiety and some depersonalisation.

The main thing that I found strange once I was settled on them was that I couldn't feel anything in terms of emotions, I just have very little interest in anything, TV programmes I used to love just don't interest me, Things that were once funny I can't laugh at anymore, I have to push myself to do everything even conversation with people, Don't get me wrong its not a lack of confidence, I just really can't be bothered with it, If my Fiance is showing me something he finds interesting (which I would of been excited about not so long ago) then I feel like I'm faking my interest.

Just recently I have dropped my dose to 10mg to see if it makes any of my emotions come back but after 3 months of doing so I am a wreck, Crying at smallest of things, picking silly arguements with my very patient other half:hugs: and I just can't work out if I've never really settled on these meds or the lack of zest for life has been my depression still there all along...My head is seriously done in!!

Anyone else's advice or stories would be seriously appreciated :D

LAURA48
29-06-12, 11:29
Hi - I have been on Cit for 9 weeks now and cannot wait to get off them - they have nothing for me - in fact feel worse I am on 30mg and all I have been doing of late is crying - the depression is awful - will be seeing my psychiatrist in 2 weeks with a view to a change to Effexor.

Imo - they are definitely not working for you - go back and see your GP and get changed. Like you I have no interest in anything - just existing at the moment not living. I really understand what you are going through and it is horrid. When a med works you do not question it you move on with your life.

Was on Prozac for 15 years and it was fantastic until it stopped working in Oct 2011 and have been on a quest to find a suitable one - even paying to see a psychiatrist.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Laura

Kay-Kay
29-06-12, 12:53
Thanks so much for your reply and sooo sorry you're meds aren't working for you anymore. Is effexor an SSRI? Sorry I'm kinda new to it all.

That is so true what you said about existing and not living, I have so much to look forward to which is the frustrating thing but can't seem to shake this flat feeling, My partner is on Escitalopram after a rough time with a chronic illness and he was so down but now has that zest of life again so I know it is possible somehow. I'm taking all of the positive steps, I'm joining a gym with a friend and I will force myself to go if it is going to benefit me.

Have you tried Escitalopram? Apparently, so I'm told, Is a more purer form of citalopram and works better in some cases.

Thanks again:)

Chegsy
29-06-12, 14:48
Hi Kay-Kay

I'm on the meds and find no problem with them however I have a friend who is also taking them and has told me he is concerned that he is detached from everything and just doesn't experience feelings, his wife also told me that he has been cold since taking them......not sure if it is because he is taking them for a grief reaction (could explain cold/detached) or if it is a side effect from the medication. Have you thought about trying another type of med?

LAURA48
29-06-12, 15:06
Hi Kay

Effexor is an SNRI at higher doses and a SSRI at lower - believe it works on other receptors in the brain other than serotonin - it is meant to be very good.

I have just emailed the psychiatrist's secretary and told her to tell him I am tapering down to 20mg as seeing him on 14th. Want to get off them - not a patch on Prozac but unfortunately they stopped working and second time on them made me worse! but was on them 15 good years so gave them a good run for their money so to speak.

Escitalopram - is Citaloprams newer sister - it comes in lower doses and is more potent but my psychiatrist said it works no better?

Have you tried any other SSRI apart from Citalopram as there are many out there - think you need to change as 10mg is not really a therapeutic dose.

Like you I have tried to help myself but just fed up with it all tbh.

Hope you feel better soon

Laura

emma25
30-06-12, 11:34
Can i ask what ssri means please?Im new to this x

Kay-Kay
01-07-12, 16:45
Hi Emma 25 - SSRI stands for Selective Seretonin Reuptake Inhibitor - It is an anti depressant or mood stabiliser (at least thats what it feels like for me right now - my mood is all one level neither happy or sad - bizzare)

Chegsy & Laura, Thanks for the responses, no I've not tried any other ssri I will be going to the doctors on tuesday to speak to her and also taking my partner for moral support as I know she wants me off the tablets, She recommended I reduce to 10mg as I was feeling ok but to be fair Ive not mentioned the emotionless/flat side effects to her, I agreed to decrease to 10mg as I really want to be off meds but It seems like yesterday that I was prescribed them and really should give myself a bit more time to get well again. Maybe she will switch my meds, I'm not sure, We will find out on tuesday.
It is awful not knowing your own mind sometimes and feeling like you are trapped in your own thoughts, I really do feel for the people out there who are suffering with moderate/ major depression and anxiety coz it really is awful!!

Can any of you recomened any vitamins and minerals that can be used in conjunction with meds I'm vegetarian so I probably need to supplement too?

xx

emma25
01-07-12, 16:49
Thanks for that x