PDA

View Full Version : News article on Citalopram today

Estellenoire
30-06-12, 22:45
I don't know whether I can post links in threads on this board but there was an article in the paper today about Citalopram which has made me think I'm probably going to stop taking it.

SADS is my biggest fear, and the biggest source of my anxieties. I've only been on Cit for a couple of weeks and I feel like it's been helping a lot but I don't know if I can cope with this news.

Anyway, THE LINK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9367001/Safety-warning-over-Britains-most-common-antidepressant.html)

suzeelew
01-07-12, 02:46
JEEZ AND JUST AS I WAS FEELING BETTER>>>>NOW MY anxiety is creeping bk...going to chat to gp about this and thank you for bringing this to our attention

emma25
01-07-12, 11:40
I would not overly worrie about this information they do mention that they don't think doc should stop prescribing these speak to your doc and keep calm : D x

oneofus
01-07-12, 19:07
I saw the article online in the Telegraph, and it appears to be a continuation on the studies into doses of Citalopram of 60Mg and above, implying doses of less than 60Mg may be result in similar side effects to heart function.

The article could have been much more accurate, though. It says Citalopram is normally prescribed for one or two months, which is plainly wrong but that's journalism for you.

As for hard evidence, I think we need to await for more studies. But that said I did suffer a very odd reaction to my first visit to the gym (described in another thread), that the doctors never satisfactorily explained, when I was wiped out for about an hour after using an exercise bike under moderate exercise stress.

Perhaps, Citalopram use should be more closely monitored. My GP merely prescribed 20Mg and left me to it, if it was not for my own choice to talk to another doctor a year later I would be on it non stop.

one of us

ewood79
02-07-12, 02:46
This is old news.... Changed about 12 months ago re new findings..... Only precautionary don't forget....

Escitalopram is not affected but the maximum dose for that is 20mg.

I was on at one stage 80mg of Cit and was fine, lots of ECGs during this time proved this.

It's why I changed to Escitalopram just in case I need to go higher.... Much safer on that... But 20mg is all I'm on and that's been since March.

Don't stop taking this drug, you will find loads of people on here have been helped by it.....

Cheers

Monostich
02-07-12, 11:07
The studies are for people on high doses, no?

Seems like sensationalist journalism to me (surprise surprise).

ewood79
02-07-12, 11:14
Yes Mono, they were for people on 60mg plus..... Clinically some people's shrinks can have them on 80mg to 100mg......

Most of the people had the heart problems already etc.....

Monostich
02-07-12, 11:22
Cheers ewood, I thought so.

It's a bit naughty publishing articles like that when they know the anxiety sufferers are going to read the headline and want to jack the pills in, even if they are working (just look at the first 2 responses in this thread).

But that's what sells papers I guess. Whilst I am not saying there isn't any truth to the article, it's quite misleading - especially the headline. Many of us are on low doses, too.

ewood79
02-07-12, 11:34
Absolutley agree..... I think there is loads of info out there on it but to the people on this drug on the lower doses.... 40mg and under don't throw away your pills! It's a good anti depressant..... If your really worried still ask for a change to the newer cleaner version of it called Lexapro or cipralex....

Cheers